If you are on your weight loss journey, then you must already know how it is to eat food without any condiments.
However, cutting back on calories does not necessarily mean that you have to eat boring and tasteless food.
Instead, you can always experiment with your food by using healthy ingredients and enhancing its taste.
To improve the taste of any food item, you can add condiments to it.
Though condiments play a significant role in improving the taste of your food, some of them may be unhealthy.
But if you didn’t already know, there are some healthy condiments that are low in calories and can support your weight loss journey.
Apart from the toppers, condiments can be used to boost the flavor, marinate the different ingredients and tenderize protein.
Though most condiments may not provide you with much nutrition, some include healthy ingredients like heart-healthy fats, protein, fiber, antioxidants, spices, and herbs.
This means that you do not need to munch on plain brown rice or steamed vegetables every day just to lose weight.
Instead, you can make the right choices while satisfying your taste buds by using healthy condiments.
So if you are looking for healthy condiments, then we have a list for you.
This list excludes all the unhealthy condiments that have ingredients like high amounts of added salt, sugar, and artificial additives.
10 Best Condiments For Weight Loss
Now let’s have a glance at the healthy condiments that are not only nutritious but also quite scrumptious-
If you’re tired of late-night snacking, try combining some hot sauce, such as sriracha, into your diet.
Hot sauces like tabasco or sriracha sauce are made from red chili peppers, due to this they have a spicy flavor.
Moreover, sriracha also has capsaicin, which is a substance in the chili powder that can support your feeling of fullness and regulate your blood sugar levels.
No doubt why adding this sauce to your meals can help you to feel full for a longer time and thus, evade your excessive snacking habits.
As per this study, adding spicy food items or sauces to your meal can reduce your appetite and enhance your metabolism.
However, the only thing you need to remember here is to read the labels before you purchase hot sauce like Sriracha.
Avoid purchasing hot sauces that contain added sugar in them.
You can add sriracha on top of your whole grains, vegetables, and egg scrambles or even use it as a dressing for steak or meat.
Greek yogurt is another great condiment with a low calorie and high protein content.
Moreover, around 200 grams of yogurt could deliver around 20grams of protein. So, while you’re trying to lose weight, your protein needs may be met as well.
You could use it as an alternative for sour cream. However, make sure to get plain Greek yogurt that does not have any added sugar in it.
The major benefit of Greek yogurt for weight loss is that it is a good source of calcium and protein.
Calcium and protein together could aid in keeping you fuller for a longer time, promoting your muscle growth, and hence reducing your hunger.
Plain Greek yogurt could also help in the better absorption of the nutrients in your body by improving your gut health.
As per this data, mustard contains just 3.05 calories in one packet, since mustard is a fat-free condiment.
This condiment is quite low in carbohydrate and calorie content and may help to bolster the flavor of your meal in just no time.
If you’re looking to add a spicy kick to your monotonous weight loss meal, then you can opt for both the yellow and spicy traditional mustards.
The mustards are made from onion powder, turmeric, salt, garlic powder, distilled vinegar, mustard seeds, herbs, and a plethora of spices.
No wonder why it can give a boost of flavor to any boring dish.
Due to the presence of these ingredients, mustard has a low-calorie content along with a good amount of protein and fat.
Not only this, but the turmeric present in mustard is even a good source of curcumin that has various essential properties.
Curcumin may contain certain anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, and neuroprotective properties although more research is needed. Hence, mustard could be a healthy condiment to add to your diet.
However, before purchasing it, make sure to read its label so that it does not contain any added sugar.
You can use mustard as an alternative for mayonnaise or use it as a dip and even as a sandwich spread.
Another best condiment for weight loss, which you can add to your meals is hummus. As per this information, 100 grams of hummus provides more than 3 grams of fiber.
Hummus is an addictive, scrumptious dip with a kick of lemony mashed chickpeas that are a good source of minerals like magnesium and folate.
Magnesium may support healthy muscle and nerve function as well as increased bone mineral density.
Whereas, folate may aid in developing DNA as well as other genetic material. Thus, it is also an important mineral present in chickpeas.
Packed with a plethora of plant-based protein and other nutrients, hummus may also have certain anti-inflammatory properties that could help to combat health issues.
Besides this, it can even support your weight loss journey because it is a good source of fiber and hence could be good for your digestive system.
Avocado contains various noteworthy nutrients like protein, fiber, and various other vitamins that may be left out in today’s fad diets.
As per this study, dietary supplements may contain various vitamins and minerals but a deficiency of these micronutrients could be possible because of recent diet culture.
Also referred to as nature’s butter, avocado is a good source of fiber, potassium, monounsaturated fats, and vitamin E.
Replacing your daily consumption of butter with avocado can be a great way to lose weight, as it may suppress appetite naturally.
Butter is not just filled with extra calories, but it also has saturated fat which may boost your risk of different cardiovascular diseases.
You can even add avocado to your scrambled lettuce, tomato, or egg.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Made from fermented apple juice, apple cider vinegar is another tangy condiment that you could add to your monotonous meal.
You could use it in your homemade salad dressing, add it on top of your green salad, or even use it as a marinade for different items.
The cherry on top of the cake using apple cider vinegar is that it has few calories and no sodium.
You can spice up your tacos or scrambled eggs with this, another low-calorie condiment.
With just 10 calories per serving, you can use it as a great alternative to the high-calorie salad dressings.
However, make sure that the salsa you choose is low in sodium and has no added sugar.
Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce
If you have got a sweet tooth that increases your weight every time, then you can add this savory reduced-sodium soy sauce to your meal.
The deep savory flavor is enough to reduce your sugar cravings.
You can add reduced-sodium soy sauce to your meals by using it as a glaze for chicken, salmon, or beef.
Or you could even splash some tablespoons of soy sauce in your salad dressing.
With a good source of vitamin C, Lemon juice could serve as a versatile condiment that you may add to your everyday meals.
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and could have potential benefits for your heart, immune system, and skin.
Apart from this, lemon juice can even increase the absorption of Iron from plant-based foods.
As per this data, vitamin C is needed for wound healing and is an essential physiological antioxidant.
Due to this, it could be an ideal condiment for people who wish to receive more iron from their diet.
All you have to do is use this juice in your salad dressings or add it to your seafood and other savory dishes.
Extra Virgin Oil
Extra virgin oil is another condiment that you could use as an alternator for vegetable oil. It is beneficial for human heart health by lowering the chances of cardiovascular events.
This is because it has various health benefits over vegetable oil like it can serve as a good antioxidant and can even support your weight loss journey.
Extra virgin olive oil belongs to healthy fats and can be used in all kinds of dishes.
The versatile nature of this oil makes it easy to blend in with the different ingredients while helping you to lose weight.
Summing It Up
So these are the different healthy condiments that you could add to your diet if you are following a weight loss regime.
Your food does not have to be boring and monotonous if you want to lose certain inches.
On the other hand, you could make it interesting so that it is easy to stick to and you do not resort to unhealthy snacking.
However, make sure to check the label of each condiment before purchasing it.
The label can give you information regarding the calorie content and the additives like added sugar or sodium in the condiments.
Evade from purchasing unhealthy condiments like barbecue sauce, Mayonnaise, creamy salad dressing, or sour cream.
Weight loss should be an interesting process where you could experiment with various dishes and convert them into delicious lip-smacking meals with such condiments.
Working4Health prefers using primary and verified references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and our primary references include peer-reviewed research, academic, and medical institution studies.
- Jia Zheng, Sheng Zheng, Qianyun Feng, et al. Dietary capsaicin and its anti-obesity potency: from mechanism to clinical implications. Biosci Rep. 2017 Jun 30; 37(3): BSR20170286. Published online 2017 May 11. Prepublished online 2017 Apr 19. doi: 10.1042/BSR20170286
- C J Henry, B Emery. Effect of spiced food on metabolic rate . Hum Nutr Clin Nutr. 1986 Mar;40(2):165-8. Available from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/3957721/
- Yogurt, Greek, plain, lowfat. Available from https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/170903/nutrients
- John W. Carbone, and Stefan M. Pasiakos. Dietary Protein and Muscle Mass: Translating Science to Application and Health Benefit. Nutrients. 2019 May; 11(5): 1136. Published online 2019 May 22. doi: 10.3390/nu11051136
- Mustard. Available from https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1103675/nutrients
- Julie S Jurenka. Anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, a major constituent of Curcuma longa: a review of preclinical and clinical research. Review. Altern Med Rev. 2009 Jun;14(2):141-53. Available from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19594223/
- Susan J. Hewlings and Douglas S. Kalman. Curcumin: A Review of Its’ Effects on Human Health. Foods. 2017 Oct; 6(10):92. Published online 2017 Oct 22. doi: 10.3390/foods6100092
- [HISTORICAL RECORD]: HUMMUS. Available from https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/569964/nutrients
- Magnesium. Updated: March 22, 2021. Available from https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-Consumer/
- Folate. Updated: March 22, 2021. Available from https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Folate-Consumer/
- Julia K. Bird, Rachel A. Murphy, Eric D. Ciappio, et al. Risk of Deficiency in Multiple Concurrent Micronutrients in Children and Adults in the United States. Nutrients. 2017 Jul; 9(7): 655. Published online 2017 Jun 24. doi: 10.3390/nu9070655
- E Ostman , Y Granfeldt, L Persson, et al. Vinegar supplementation lowers glucose and insulin responses and increases satiety after a bread meal in healthy subjects. Randomized Controlled Trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005 Sep;59(9):983-8.doi: 10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602197. Available from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16015276/
- M Leeman , E Ostman, I Björck. Vinegar dressing and cold storage of potatoes lowers postprandial glycaemic and insulinaemic responses in healthy subjects. Clinical Trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005 Nov;59(11):1266-71. doi: 10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602238. Available from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16034360/
- Birgit Teucher , Manuel Olivares, Héctor Cori. Enhancers of iron absorption: ascorbic acid and other organic acids. Review. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2004 Nov;74(6):403-19. doi: 10.1024/0300-9818.104.22.1683. Available from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15743017/
- Vitamin C. Updated: March 26, 2021. Available from https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-HealthProfessional/
- Cristina Nocella, Vittoria Cammisotto , Luca Fianchini, et al. Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Cardiovascular Diseases: Benefits for Human Health. Review. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2018;18(1):4-13. doi: 10.2174/1871530317666171114121533. Avaialble from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29141571/
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Louise Rodriguez is a full-time health and fitness writer. She considers herself a gym rat and takes pride in showing her biceps. She dedicates most of her time to her health. With the time left, she spreads information regarding health and fitness among the masses. Harry Potter is her first love.