Low calorie is what you wish to infuse into yourself when trying to lose weight. Consuming low-calorie food or beverages helps enough for us to lose weight effectively.
For ages, humans have loved to drink alcohol. But it is hard to, knowing that usually, alcohol, besides causing fatal diseases, can also gain you an immense amount of weight and unwanted fat.
In such cases, people tend to leave drinking alcohol altogether. This is a good practice since you should just consume alcohol in extremely high moderation.
But, to even make this better, we have low-calorie alcoholic drinks. These kinds of drinks tend to gain you the least weight possible.
Not to miss, if you suffer from gout issues, you may want to avoid alcohol altogether as alcohol is one of the foods to avoid with gout.
This article will discuss such alcoholic drinks that give us highly low-calorie infusions.
List Of Low-Calorie Alcoholic Drinks
Vodka is an extremely popular alcoholic beverage among people. Thanks to Johnny Walker, Vodka has become one of the most affordable yet premium alcoholic drinks out there.
This is a sort of alcohol that in itself represents youth and is popular among them.
This is one of the drinks which if mixed with unflavoured club soda, can become immensely beneficial in losing weight while infusing a pretty less amount of calories into your body.
Club soda can also be replaced with other flavored sparkling waters which will give you more taste and the approximately same amount of calories.
Who doesn’t know about white wine?
This is one of the most expensive and premium alcoholic drinks one can drink which represents elegance and is usually used for refreshment.
This drink is pretty jolly and is consumed between meals and an aperitif or with desserts.
White wines too are beneficial for weight loss where you tend to consume a very low amount of calories while consuming it.
To add more taste to your drink, you can try adding some fresh fruits to it while adding some sparkling water too, or probably club soda.
White wine is a very effective drink while also being a refreshing spritzer.
Another low-calorie and quality drink is a martini. The classic version of the martini contains vermouth and gin.
But the typical recipe might offer excessive calories that you are trying to avoid. A regular martini may contribute up to 176 calories.
To reduce these calories, try an extra dry martini. It has little to no vermouth and more gin concentration.
Try sipping it with some green olives or lemon twist. Green olives add antioxidants and taste to your martini. It also balances the intensity of your drink.
A lemon twist is lemon peel added to the drink for garnishing. But except for garnish, they release juice giving a citrus taste to the drink.
Dirty dry martini has olive brine in it to bring out the savory and give a cloudy appearance.
It reduces the alcoholic taste of the drink and gives a more salty flavor. Keep in mind that consuming the olives may add a little more calories.
Red wine is similar to its white alternative. It had a little more calories than white wine. One serving of red wine consists of 125 calories.
Moreover, it has 3.1 grams of alcohol per glass. You can opt for lower calories red wines like pinot noir and cabernet sauvignon.
They have low alcohol concentrations. Dry versions have minimal sugar concentration(less than 1%). Therefore, they reduce the calorie count even more.
Regular beer is associated with high calories. It is often observed that it induces weight gain and increases belly fat.
Hence, drinks are a major factor in determining the results of diets and body weight management.
Often people count the calories of food but forget about beverages. Therefore, it is better to opt for light beer to keep calorie intake under control.
Darker-colored beer is generally higher in calories. The light substitute has about half the calories compared to regular beer.
It helps to manage calories while enjoying the taste of beer. Normally, 355 ml of light beer has 103 calories.
This tequila-based cocktail drink named Paloma can be your refreshing drink with very few calories.
Some people add sweeteners to it, but when counting calories, it’s better to skip it. This was the simple idea behind skinny Paloma.
No added sugar will not affect the taste much. The fresh grapefruit used is sweet enough for the taste.
A glass of Paloma has about 120 calories. If you still wish to add a little sugar, instead add other less calorie natural substitutes like stevia.
Gin And Diet Tonic
Gin and tonic are one of the most popular drinks across the globe. The name and the way of making it might have slight variations.
The amount of tonic water is kept double the amount of gin. 2 ounces of gin are mixed with 4 ounces of tonic water to make a drink.
For reducing calories, regular tonic water is substituted with diet tonic water. A serving of gin and diet tonic has around 130 calories.
To eliminate the calories further, use more diet tonic water and ice. Reduce the amount of gin in the drink.
Grand celebrations call for champagne. It is a mark of happiness and prosperity. But except for being a mere celebration drink, it can offer health benefits too.
Firstly, in comparison to wine, it has relatively low calories. “Brut”, the dry champagne, constitutes only 90 calories per glass.
Lower doses cut down on calories even more. It can go down to 65 calories. It is because dry champagnes have less sugar concentration than regular ones.
Extra dry champagne has about 0.6% sugar. It is far less than normal levels that go up to 5%.
Mojito Without The Syrup
Mojito is a popular drink emerging from Cuba. It is made from 5 simple ingredients i.e. simple syrup, lime juice, mint, rum, and soda water.
The alcohol concentration of mojito is about 10-15%. A regular mojito offers 168 calories but without syrup, it’s fairly low.
Only skipping the syrup reduces the calories down to 70 or even 40. If you cannot compromise with the sweetness, use low-calorie substitute stevia.
Increasing the concentration of soda water and mint increases the flavors. Hence you get a low-calorie alcoholic drink without compromising the taste.
Light Bloody Mary
This drink is as interesting as its name. The light bloody mary is a mouth-watering combination of vodka and tomato juice.
It can be a low-calorie drink if you prepare one yourself. Packaged ones contain up to 400 calories which makes them a high-calorie drink.
When you make one, the calories come down to 100. To prepare it yourself, add about 30 ml of vodka with a tiny bit of tomato juice.
To it, you can add fresh cucumber, pepper sauce, and fresh lime juice. Experiment with some hot sauces and spices. Add the mix to a glass full of ice and enjoy.
Lemon Vodka Soda
Lemon vodka soda emerged as a healthy drink option for people.
Since everyone looks to enjoy drinking without compromising health, watching the calories in drinks has become common.
Lemon vodka soda has dual benefits in such a case. Firstly, it has around 99 calories in a can of premade lemon vodka sodas.
Secondly, sipping wine way too much is more common than sipping lime and vodka. So this drink keeps you within the limit while enjoying.
Soda water has a hydrating action on the body which is opposite to alcohol. To make one is simple. Add vodka to a glass filled with ice cubes.
Garnish with a lemon wedge and squeeze some juice into vodka for the extra punch.
Kombucha With Vodka
Kombucha is a fermented drink. It is made with tea and sugar. Some flavourful kombuchas can be ginger-lemon, strawberry, and mint lime mojito kombuchas.
It has a good amount of good bacteria. This drink is linked with gut-related benefits. It makes a perfect probiotic drink with fewer calories.
To twist it, about 30 ml of vodka is added to it. It is better to be mindful of the sugar and use the fewer calorie varieties.
Drinking alcohol is a leisure activity. You can find it in bars, parties, and gatherings. But this fun sipping comes with a risk of extra calories and weight gain.
Recently, awareness about health has increased. Monitoring calories throughout is very important.
This doesn’t involve just food but drinks also. Therefore, it is important to know the calories present in your alcoholic beverages.
Several low-calorie alternatives have emerged over time that offers health benefits without compromising the taste.
Ample of these can be made at home. So next time you think of a cocktail or enjoy healthy sipping, you can easily pick the suitable option.
Just take care to drink in moderation. Cut off those calories and enjoy guilt-free drinks.
Working4Health prefers using primary and verified references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and our primary references include peer-reviewed research, academic, and medical institution studies.
- Vodka and soda FDC Published:10/30/2020 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1104445/nutrients
- Wine, table, white FDC Published:10/30/2020 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1104474/nutrients
- Martini, flavored FDC Published:10/30/2020 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1104422/nutrients
- Alcoholic beverage, distilled, all (gin, rum, vodka, whiskey) 80 proof FDC Published:4/1/2019 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/174815/nutrients
- Barbara Lanza and Paolino Ninfali Antioxidants in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Table Olives: Connections between Agriculture and Processing for Health Choices Antioxidants (Basel). 2020 Jan; 9(1): 41.Published online 2020 Jan 2. doi: 10.3390/antiox9010041
- PITTED CASTELVETRANO GREEN OLIVES FDC Published:4/1/2019 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/399848/nutrients
- SWEET RED WINE, VINEGARETTE FDC Published:4/1/2019 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/379657/nutrients
- Lukas Snopek, Jiri Mlcek, Lenka Sochorova, et al. Contribution of Red Wine Consumption to Human Health Protection Molecules. 2018 Jul; 23(7): 1684.Published online 2018 Jul 11. doi: 10.3390/molecules23071684
- Beer, light FDC Published:10/30/2020 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1104394/nutrients
- Grapefruit juice, 100%, freshly squeezed FDC Published:10/30/2020 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1102602/nutrients
- Tequila FDC Published:10/30/2020 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1104491/nutrients
- DIET TONIC WATER FDC Published:3/19/2021 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/1589592/nutrients
- Low-calorie cocktails Available from: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000732.htm
- MOJITO MIX FINE COCKTAIL MIXTURES FDC Published:12/6/2019 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/727272/nutrients
- BLOODY MARY MIX JUICE, BLOODY MARY MIX FDC Published:5/28/2020 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/894972/nutrients
- FAMOUS BLOODY MARY MIX SAUCE FDC Published:4/1/2019 Available from: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/568974/nutrients
- Lauren Sandell Kombucha Reviewed on: 1 February 2021 Available from: https://fsi.colostate.edu/kombucha/
- Mirian Aparecida de Campos Costa, Darlene Larissa de Souza Vilela, Gabriela Macedo Fraiz, et al. Effect of kombucha intake on the gut microbiota and obesity-related comorbidities: A systematic review Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2021 Oct 26;1-16. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2021.1995321. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34698580/
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Otella has an experience of around eight years of writing about health and nutrition-related topics. She is a full-time mother and a housewife, and the time she has left after doing her mother and household duties is spent writing for Working for Health as a full-time writer. Her life goal is to raise both her boys into a gentleman, and at the same time, she wants to educate people on how to keep themselves fit by tweaking their daily diet.