Steroids have multiple names such as roids, juice, gear, and sauce. The steroid is a kind of hormone which is developed in our body naturally.
Although, there are not yet proven reports of steroids helping with stress and promoting growth and development.
Yet you could still expect any of these benefits with steroids. In addition, there is an artificial version of steroids which are called anabolic steroids.
Though they are hormones, they are developed using male hormones: androgens or testosterone.
It has about 100 different variations. One of the highest variations is testosterone. As we know it’s a male hormone but it is present in small quantities in females too.
There are certain functions that testosterone performs. Testosterone is mainly performing for the traits which are growing at the time of puberty.
One could grow muscle tissue to bulk up by using anabolic steroids almost similar to natural steroid effects. The stay period of anabolic steroids in your body could be a whole year.
Anabolic steroids are taken in various forms like pills, gels, creams, or injections. Generally, humans take anabolic steroids to look a certain way.
However, anabolic steroids are mostly used by athletes to build a powerful body.
The steroid supplements are not similar to protein supplements but they do work for your workout plans and physique.
Since steroids are not legalized because of the adverse reaction they cause to the body. So there is a precaution while you take on steroid supplements as a trainer, fitness freak, or athlete.
However, we are not talking about illegal steroid supplements. But the one which is legalized by the government and one could use those supplements.
The steroid supplements are loaded with dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and/or androstenedione (also known as andro).
You need to have steroid supplements in large portions to build that hulk body with muscle mass. Yet you couldn’t entirely depend on steroids to build your muscles.
Whatever the effects steroids do on your body, it is not the best option out there to include for making muscles.
So steroid supplements must be avoided as much as you could. And if you are taking them be very cautious about it.
Uses Of Steroids
Steroids could be of significant use. Although, the uses coulddiffer with the kind of steroids you are using or the doses you take.
These steroids are the replacement for the natural steroids that our body produces. Let’s look at the uses of steroid types called corticosteroids now:
- Hay fever
- Hives and Eczema
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Crohn’s disease
Furthermore, the most commonly used anabolic steroid is testosterone. It is known to boost sex drive and the negative point is it causes erectile dysfunction.
Yet these steroids could be of great help in treating health issues associated with men. It is known as hypogonadism which is an issue related to lesser production of testosterone.
More About Steroids
- Some steroids are contaminated, diluted, fake, or made from animals. They are sold illegally.
Since steroids could cause adverse effects.
- You must always keep your heart, liver, and kidney functioning checked before taking steroids in your body.
- While taking steroids, you must keep a check on your water intake. It is important to drink a minimum of 3 liters a day to get rid of the waste steroids produced in the body.
- People with diabetes, high blood pressure, glaucoma, mental health problems, or any kind of heart issues shouldavoid taking steroids in the first place.
- Men who are less than 24 years old must not take steroids. As you mayexperience a slow or stunted growth process by steroids.
Impact Of Steroids On Sexual Health
People think that using steroids for looking at a particular size doesn’t cause any negative effects on them.
Although, there are a lot of adverse effects but mainly talk about the negative regarding sexual health.
The artificially infused anabolic steroids couldplay a key role in worsening fertility issues for both men and women.
Now here is something positive to look at in anabolic steroids they could be the reason to boost confidence sexually and sex drive.
Moreover, this might be a good sign but what is bad here is you are now more prone to pass on dangerous diseases like HIV.
In addition, steroids greatly impact men’s sex drive negatively with erection issues also. Since the body is now getting artificial testosterone.
Hence, the ball may get shrink. You may not experience the change in the dick size but could develop urination issues.
The use of anabolic steroids may develop erectile dysfunction (ED).ED consists of several issues such as shrunken testicles, reduced sperm count, and infertility.
Moreover, Erectile dysfunction is an issue that causes the inability to achieve the erection that is necessary for sexual intercourse.
Plus the aromatase actions with high estrogen production could also cause erectile dysfunctions.
Using synthetic steroids affects not only men but women too. Just like men’s sex drive is increased using steroids. Women’s sex drive is also boosted.
Although, women could be largely affected by masculinization with the usage of steroids.
The physical and several other changes could develop a sense of low self-esteem in women that causes negative effects on their body image.
Side Effects Of Steroids:
Some of the general side effects of usingsteroids on both genders are as follows:
- Bad acne
- Extreme hair loss
- Mood swings
- Psychological issues
- Sleep deprivation
- Muscles and tendons are more prone to injury
- Liver problems
- Restricted growth
- Higher risks for heart disease, blood clots, stroke, and certain cancer
- Addiction of alcohol
However, there are certain risks associated with steroids specifically in females which are as follows:
- Changesin the menstrual cycle
- Clitoris enlargement
- Shrinking of breasts
- Masculine traits development such as voice
- May lose feminine body characteristics
Furthermore, there are certain risks associated with steroids specifically in males whichare as follows:
- Shrinking of testicular
- Urination issues
- Enlargement of breasts
- Erection disability
- Infertility with less sperm count
- Ameen Mosleh Almohammadi,Anas Mohammed Edriss, and Turki Talal Enani Anabolic–androgenic steroids and dietary supplements among resistance trained individuals in western cities of Saudi Arabia BMC Sports Sci Med Rehabil. 2021; 13: 117.Published online 2021 Sep 28. doi: 10.1186/s13102-021-00345-6
- Abdullah A. Alangari Corticosteroids in the treatment of acute asthma Ann Thorac Med. 2014 Oct-Dec; 9(4): 187–192.doi: 10.4103/1817-1737.140120
- Muhammad Yasir; Amandeep Goyal; Sidharth Sonthalia Corticosteroid Adverse Effects Last Update: July 4, 2022. Available from:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK531462/
- Molly M. Lamb,Nancy A. West,Lijing Ouyang,et al. Corticosteroid Treatment and Growth Patterns in Ambulatory Males with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy J Pediatr. 2016 Jun; 173: 207–213.e3.Published online 2016 Mar 30. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2016.02.067
- Kavitha Ganesan; Sajedur Rahman; Patrick M. Zito. Anabolic Steroids Last Update: July 4, 2022. Available from:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482418/
- Jennifer L. Cole Steroid-Induced Sleep Disturbance and Delirium: A Focused Review for Critically Ill Patients Fed Pract. 2020 Jun; 37(6): 260–267.
- Leslie V Farland,Fan Mu,A. Heather Eliassen,et al. Menstrual Cycle Characteristics and Steroid Hormone, Prolactin, and Growth Factor Levels in Premenopausal Women Cancer Causes Control. 2017 Dec; 28(12): 1441–1452.Published online 2017 Oct 31. doi: 10.1007/s10552-017-0971-2
- Joseph Matthew Armstrong,Ross A. Avant,Cameron M. Charchenko,et al. Impact of anabolic androgenic steroids on sexual function Transl Androl Urol. 2018 Jun; 7(3): 483–489.doi: 10.21037/tau.2018.04.23
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Michael has been in the male wellness industry for 25+ years. Before joining Working For Health as a full-time male wellness journalist, he contributed to multiple online portals in the male wellness field. Before that, he has been an assistant to several sexologists.