Beans have been a significant part of food cuisine. Chickpeas are also one of those beans. Chickpeas are one of the most famous beans that are consumed extensively worldwide.
The taste and nutrition are already enough to make these beans a fan favorite among people. Nobody needs a reason to eat this gorgeous piece of food.
Even when they seem heavy for the stomach, a few facts about chickpeas make them exquisite enough to leave you stunned.
In this article, I will disclose all those facts bit by bit and infuse way much more about the favorite chickpeas in you than anyone else.
Benefits Of Chickpeas For Weight Loss
Chickpeas have been dominating the food market ever since. They are likely one of the tastiest and healthiest bean options for vegans and meat lovers.
It is a nutrient-rich food product recommended to everyone. Following are all the vital benefits of the consumption of chickpeas.
Fiber is one of the most valuable nutrients required by the body to avoid overeating and regulating weight.
Food items rich in fiber are best for people who wish to lose weight since they keep one’s appetite intact and low while helping keep the stomach full for a longer time.
These legumes are good enough to regulate and manage weight.
Chickpeas are rich in water-soluble fiber that is beneficial for the gut and has good bacteria inside them.
Better digestion helps people contain low appetites and cravings to help them lose and maintain weight.
Thermic Effect Relation
Chickpeas are one of the best sources of proteins out there. Also, this macronutrient is essential for weight loss itself.
That is because proteins are responsible for regulating hunger and hunger-related hormones.
Regulating such hormones boosts satiety and restrains cravings a person might have. Protein from this bean is also accountable for efficiently boosting metabolism.
This food product effectively aids a thermic effect in the body where infusing proteins into the body burns more calories digesting this macronutrient than carbs and fats.
More Weight Loss Due To Protein Infused By Plants
Plant-based proteins from Chickpeas, Quinoa, and other similar food items tend to aid an effective weight loss than other protein sources.
This consumption also tends to avoid mid-day snacking more effectively.
According to a study, plant-based proteins from beans and legumes infuse more satiety than animal-based proteins.
Amylose-Rich Food Items
Like carrots and crackers with hummus, chickpeas have a satisfaction-infusing characteristic, whereas consuming a bit of the bean may give you a feeling of fullness that lasts longer.
That is because of the presence of amylose in these food items. Amylose is a resistant starch in some food items that takes a long time to digest in the body.
Due to amylose, one tends to feel satiated for quite a long time. This property of chickpeas also makes these beans an effective food item for diabetic patients.
While beside the other benefits, it prevents sudden spikes in blood sugar levels.
While dieting includes a light and nutritious diet to help you consume limited nourishing food, it doesn’t help keep hunger at bay for long.
It may turn out to infuse more weight than reduce it. Luckily, a simple addition of beans like chickpeas could add bulk to your meal.
It will help you keep full for a longer time and hence help reduce weight fast and efficiently.
Since chickpeas are highly rich in fiber, they tend to improve their lipid levels.
This property helps further delay the digestion process in the body, and this food product is light on the budget.
Also, it helps you to make your diet more cost-effective since it could also be added to a majority of dishes.
With all this, chickpeas come as a complete package where it controls blood sugar levels improves blood lipids, and keeps you satiated while giving proteins.
Reduction In Cholesterol
Everyone is familiar with the effect of cholesterol on body weight and health. Higher cholesterol levels are very harmful to one’s health.
Therefore, it is necessary to have less cholesterol. Cholesterol is divided into two types – one being good cholesterol and the other being bad cholesterol.
It is vital to keep bad cholesterol in lesser and restrained quantities.
The dietary fiber contained in chickpeas is a considerable ingredient that, besides boosting satiety, also reduces cholesterol levels to keep the body healthy.
A study shows that people consuming chickpeas have lower LDL levels (low-density lipoprotein).
Researchers have also studied Chickpeas to reduce harmful levels of cholesterol in the body.
Nutritional Stats Of Chickpeas
Technically, chickpeas have a high nutritional profile. Smaller amounts of Chickpeas could  have an incredible nutritional value to them.
A single cup of chickpeas has been proven to fulfill 40% of daily fiber requirements. The following is the complete nutritional profile of chickpeas.
Calories – 102
Carbohydrates – 17 grams
Fat – 1.5 grams
Fiber – 7.9 grams
Protein – 4.8 grams
Preventive Measures For Chickpeas
Even when chickpeas are a great source of macronutrients like proteins, it is still advised for some people to avoid the consumption of Chickpeas for health-related reasons.
People with digestive tract diseases should avoid the consumption of chickpeas due to the presence of complex sugar in them.
These may get too hard to break down. Consumption of chickpeas in such situations may comprise the health of one’s gut.
People who are allergic to other legumes must also avoid the consumption of chickpeas since it may cause nausea, itching, vomiting, and abdominal pain.
Likewise, excessive chickpeas consumption should also be avoided.
Since it tends to increase uric acid which may further turn out to be very harmful while resulting in gout.
The recommended amount of consumption of chickpeas will give you major benefits which is a single cup of chickpeas weighing 28 grams.
Only the excessive consumption of chickpeas may cause harm to the body.
Chickpea Recipes For Weight Loss
It is one of the prominent diet salads that could be eaten in almost all dieting styles. Making it is easy and requires a few basic ingredients.
You could have it between meals to reduce hunger and satisfy your cravings. To a bowl, add one cup of boiled chickpeas, chopped onion, cucumber, tomato, and avocado.
Mix it all together. Prepare a dressing separately using
- one tablespoon of olive oil
- half a tablespoon of lemon juice
- Black pepper powder
Mix these ingredients and pour them on top of your salad. You could also add black olives and carrots if you wish.
Chickpea- Avocado Hummus
Hummus is a great way to infuse more nutrition into the diet.
To make chickpea and avocado hummus, take a cup of boiled chickpeas. To it, add ripe chopped avocado.
Add 4-5 garlic cloves and blend into a smooth paste. Now add one teaspoon of cumin powder, salt, curd, and sesame seeds.
Blend again and transfer to a bowl. Add lemon juice and olive oil dressing to give the finishing touches.
You could also make mint dressing for this hummus.
- Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans) Available from: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/chickpeas-garbanzo-beans/
- A K Jukanti,P M Gaur,C L L Gowda,et al. Nutritional quality and health benefits of chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.): a review Review Br J Nutr. 2012 Aug;108 Suppl 1:S11-26. doi: 10.1017/S0007114512000797.Available from:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22916806/
- Rami S. Najjar and Rafaela G. Feresin Plant-Based Diets in the Reduction of Body Fat: Physiological Effects and Biochemical Insights Nutrients. 2019 Nov; 11(11): 2712.Published online 2019 Nov 8. doi: 10.3390/nu11112712
- A. Lovegrove,C. H. Edwards, I. De Noni, et al. Role of polysaccharides in food, digestion, and health Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2017 Jan 22; 57(2): 237–253.Published online 2015 Apr 28. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2014.939263
- Tasleem A. Zafar and Yearul Kabir Chickpeas suppress postprandial blood glucose concentration, and appetite and reduce energy intake at the next meal J Food Sci Technol. 2017 Mar; 54(4): 987–994.Published online 2016 Dec 8. doi: 10.1007/s13197-016-2422-6
- Jane K Pittaway, Iain K Robertson, Madeleine J Ball Chickpeas may influence fatty acid and fiber intake in an ad libitum diet, leading to small improvements in serum lipid profile and glycemic control Randomized Controlled Trial J Am Diet Assoc. 2008 Jun;108(6):1009-13. doi: 10.1016/j.jada.2008.03.009. Available from:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18502235/
- Chickpeas (garbanzo beans, bengal gram), mature seeds, cooked, boiled, without salt Available from:https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/173757/nutrients
- Rinkesh Kumar Gupta,Kriti Gupta,Akanksha Sharma Health Risks and Benefits of Chickpea (Cicer arietinum) Consumption Review J Agric Food Chem. 2017 Jan 11;65(1):6-22. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.6b02629. Epub 2016 Dec 23. Available from:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27779388/
- Taylor C. Wallace,Robert Murray,and Kathleen M. Zelman The Nutritional Value and Health Benefits of Chickpeas and Hummus Nutrients. 2016 Dec; 8(12): 766.Published online 2016 Nov 29. doi: 10.3390/nu8120766
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Alisha Matthew has been a practicing nutritionist since 2016. She holds a master’s degree in nutrition from the University of IOWA. She is a staunch believer in improving the human health index by educating people about nutrition and the importance of nutrition in leading a healthy and happy life. Her long-term goal is to keep educating people on general health and keep herself updated with the latest trends in the field of health.