Detoxification is an essential part of achieving sound health. But, cleansing the body with artificially prepared medicines is never a good choice.
Hence, opting for the natural way may help you get the essential nutrients to keep the metabolism high and detoxify the body.
You may find multiple food items, including fruits, vegetables, and beverages that contain several detoxifying compounds.
Consuming these valuable food items prevents the body from toxic reactions. Hence, this article will list the 12 best food items for natural detoxification of the body.
12 Detox Foods
Lemons are a beneficial citrus fruit with numerous health benefits. You may find a lemon in multiple detox diets that significantly detoxify the body.
Lemons are rich in an antioxidant, Vitamin C, which may help you fight against free radicals and prevent your skin from oxidative damage.
Moreover, lemon’s nutrient content may help to keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
The study shows that lemons have an alkaline effect on the body resulting in a balanced pH level.
Furthermore, the citrus fruit has always been considered an immunity booster.
Hence, you may consider consuming lemon juice with boiled water to remove toxins and harmful substances from the body.
Do you know that beetroot acts as a detoxification agent for the body? Beetroots are a highly preferred detoxification food that may help cleanse the harmful substances present in the body.
Beetroots are primarily rich in several essential vitamins and minerals that may help keep you healthy.
Moreover, the nutrients like magnesium, iron, Vitamin C, etc., could help lower the toxin levels in the body.
Research has revealed that beetroot consumption may help to remove toxins from the skin, hair, etc., and balance the cholesterol levels in the blood.
Hence, it would be best if you consume at least a glass of beetroot juice or salad twice a week.
Green tea is a universal beverage primarily preferred for multiple health benefits. Healthy tea has been a medicine for centuries and is the best treatment for several conditions.
Green tea contains caffeine and several other antioxidants that play a significant role in fighting against free radicals.
The active compounds in green tea may help lower oxidative stress and prevent the body’s outer covering from damage.
A study concludes that people drinking green tea regularly may prevent themselves from chronic diseases like cancer.
Moreover, green tea may enhance the production of several detoxification enzymes to keep the body toxin free.
Brown rice is another essential food item that may help you detoxify the body.
Experts say that less processed and healthy whole grains like brown rice could be beneficial for internally cleaning the body.
Brown rice consists of several vital nutrients, including vitamins and minerals like B Vitamins, phosphorus, manganese, and magnesium that help in cleansing.
Moreover, brown rice contains a high amount of fiber that may help to clean the colon.
On the other hand, the selenium content in the grains may help detoxify the liver and enhance the body’s complexion.
Hence, it would help if you consider consuming brown rice sometimes to nourish your body with essential elements required for detoxification.
You may consider consuming some aquatic plants like watercress to enhance detoxification activities in the body.
It is a leaf vegetable, widely consumed for its peppery taste and multiple health benefits, including heart diseases and blood pressure.
The tiny watercress leaves contain several beneficial macro and micronutrients like B Vitamins, potassium, zinc, Vitamin E, and Vitamin C.
Some of these nutrients are good antioxidants that may help protect the skin cells from harmful radiation.
Moreover, research says that watercress may have diuretic properties. Hence, consuming watercress in the diet may increase urination resulting in increased flushing of toxins.
Therefore, you may add some watercress leaves to your salad to keep your body internally clean and detoxified.
Apples are a magical fruit that could help you in multiple ways. Generally, apples contain various compounds and nutrients that may enhance the body’s detoxification process.
Apples contain some phytochemicals and pectin alongside various vitamins, minerals, and fiber that may help detoxify the body, as per the study.
Some experts say that pectin may help to remove harmful toxins like mercury and lead from the body.
Apple contains beneficial acids like malic and tartaric acid that may improve digestion.
Moreover, if you consume apples with skin, you may supply your body with powerful antioxidants, Vitamin C.
You may consider consuming organic apples as they have higher antioxidant concentrations.
Grapes are small, oval-shaped, tiny balls with numerous health benefits. Primarily, grapes offer detoxification benefits.
Hence, they are used as a mono diet to improve the body’s toxin levels. Grapes quickly eliminate metabolic waste and significantly purifies and detoxify the body.
Some experts believe that grapes attain a high level of detoxification by stimulating the excretory organs, including the liver, kidney, intestine, skin, etc.
Another study showed that grapes may have a mild diuretic effect on the body resulting in the removal of harmful toxins via urine.
Furthermore, grapes are the wealthiest source of potassium that helps balance the body’s fluid levels.
Berries contain a high amount of antioxidants like Vitamin C, hence, they are a potential detox food.
You may consume all types of berries, including strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, etc., to help detoxify your body.
According to experts, one cup of blackberries may supply up to 8 grams of fiber. Fiber-rich foods are beneficial in improving digestion resulting in enhanced detoxification.
Moreover, berry consumption may produce a fatty acid called butyrate, responsible for weight loss and lean body structure.
As per some dieticians, you should follow the perfect way of consuming berries to get the highest benefit. You should start by crushing the berries and extracting the juice.
Then, mix the juice with water and allow it to rest for a few minutes before consumption.
Cabbage is another leafy green vegetable that offers multiple benefits to its consumers.
The vegetable contains several antioxidant and anticancer compounds that may help the liver to enhance hormone breakdown.
Moreover, cabbage contains some additional compounds that could be beneficial in cleaning the digestive tract.
Some experts believe cabbage has the potential to detoxify some harmful compounds entered due to cigarette smoking.
The study revealed that cabbage releases a compound, glutathione, which may increase the liver’s ability to detoxify harmful toxins and improve health.
Another vital chemical, sulforaphane, found in cabbage, may enhance the body’s ability to fight toxic substances.
Garlic has always been a beneficial food for heart patients. But, the food item may also help in the detoxification process in the body.
As per this research, garlic has shown antiviral, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties; hence, it may effectively resist the growth of such microbes.
Moreover, garlic contains a bioactive compound called allicin, which may help enhance the production of white blood cells.
Hence, an increase in WBC concentration in the blood may improve the body’s fighting ability against foreign substances.
Some researchers have reported that garlic may inhibit the growth of carcinogens and prevent DNA from external damage.
You may consume raw garlic or crushed garlic in salads or dishes to get maximum advantage.
Avocados are dark green, magical fruits with numerous antioxidants and essential nutrients.
Avocado has been widely preferred to treat several health conditions and lower severe symptoms of diseases.
Apart from these benefits, avocado may help detoxify the body and excrete disease-causing foreign particles from the body.
Avocados could be beneficial for lowering the risk of obesity, heart problems, and diabetic issues.
But, the fatty acids in avocado may help prevent the body from d-galactosamine’s effect.
The fatty acid is a liver toxin that causes severe damage to the liver leading to liver failure in some cases.
Therefore, you should include avocado in your regular diet to decrease the toxin concentration in the body.
Turmeric is a widely used spice with vibrant color and medicinal values. Due to its antimicrobial activities, turmeric has been significantly used as medicine for ages.
Research has concluded that turmeric has properties of antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, cardioprotective, etc.
Hence, the yellow spice is also used to heal any wound faster. Besides such benefits, turmeric may enhance an individual’s immunity and digestive system.
Curcumin is an active compound found in turmeric that gives a vibrant yellow color to the spice. Moreover, curcumin has shown better absorption abilities.
But, you may consider mixing turmeric with black pepper, as it would enhance the absorptive abilities of the spice.
It is essential to keep the body detoxified for better health and growth. Hence, consuming healthy and detoxifying food items and beverages is a beneficial choice to excrete harmful substances.
All the above food items on the list have benefited humans in the internal cleaning of the body. Therefore, picking and adding a few things to your diet may help you stay detoxified.
Working4Health prefers using primary and verified references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and our primary references include peer-reviewed research, academic, and medical institution studies.
- Mi Joung Kim, Jung Hyun Hwang, Hyun Ji Ko, et al. Lemon detox diet reduced body fat, insulin resistance, and serum hs-CRP level without hematological changes in overweight Korean women Nutr Res. 2015 May;35(5):409-20. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2015.04.001. Epub 2015 Apr 10. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25912765/
- Tom Clifford, Glyn Howatson, Daniel J. West, et al. The Potential Benefits of Red Beetroot Supplementation in Health and Disease Nutrients. 2015 Apr; 7(4): 2801–2822.
Published online 2015 Apr 14. doi: 10.3390/nu7042801
- Sabu M Chacko, Priya T Thambi, Ramadasan Kuttan, et al. Beneficial effects of green tea: A literature review Chin Med. 2010; 5: 13.Published online 2010 Apr 6. doi: 10.1186/1749-8546-5-13
- K T Kavanagh, L J Hafer, D W Kim, et al. Green tea extracts decrease carcinogen-induced mammary tumor burden in rats and rate of breast cancer cell proliferation in culture J Cell Biochem. 2001;82(3):387-98. doi: 10.1002/jcb.1164. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11500915/
- Jae-Sung Lee, Nese Sreenivasulu, Ruaraidh Sackville Hamilton, et al. Brown Rice, a Diet Rich in Health Promoting Properties J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2019;65(Supplement):S26-S28. doi: 10.3177/jnsv.65.S26. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31619639/
- Keneswary Ravichanthiran, Zheng Feei Ma, Hongxia Zhang, et al. Phytochemical Profile of Brown Rice and Its Nutrigenomic Implications Antioxidants (Basel). 2018 Jun; 7(6): 71.Published online 2018 May 23. doi: 10.3390/antiox7060071
- Thomas Hofmann, A Kuhnert, A Schubert, et al. Modulation of detoxification enzymes by watercress: in vitro and in vivo investigations in human peripheral blood cells Eur J Nutr. 2009 Dec;48(8):483-91. doi: 10.1007/s00394-009-0039-5. Epub 2009 Jul 28. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19636603/
- Jeanelle Boyer and Rui Hai Liu Apple phytochemicals and their health benefits Nutr J. 2004; 3: 5.Published online 2004 May 12. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-3-5
- En-Qin Xia, Gui-Fang Deng, Ya-Jun Guo, et al. Biological Activities of Polyphenols from Grapes Int J Mol Sci. 2010; 11(2): 622–646.Published online 2010 Feb 4. doi: 10.3390/ijms11020622
- Kashif Ali, Federica Maltese, Young Hae Choi, et al. Metabolic constituents of grapevine and grape-derived products Phytochem Rev. 2010; 9(3): 357–378.
Published online 2009 Nov 8. doi: 10.1007/s11101-009-9158-0
- Romilly E. Hodges and Deanna M. Minich Modulation of Metabolic Detoxification Pathways Using Foods and Food-Derived Components: A Scientific Review with Clinical Application J Nutr Metab. 2015; 2015: 760689.Published online 2015 Jun 16. doi: 10.1155/2015/760689
- Joseph Pizzorno Glutathione! Integr Med (Encinitas). 2014 Feb; 13(1): 8–12.
- Leyla Bayan, Peir Hossain Koulivand, and Ali Gorji Garlic: a review of potential therapeutic effects Avicenna J Phytomed. 2014 Jan-Feb; 4(1): 1–14.
- Voin Petrovic, Anala Nepal, Camilla Olaisen, et al. Anti-Cancer Potential of Homemade Fresh Garlic Extract Is Related to Increased Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress Nutrients. 2018 Apr; 10(4): 450.Published online 2018 Apr 5. doi: 10.3390/nu10040450
- Susanne M Henning, Jieping Yang, Shih Lung Woo, et al. Hass Avocado Inclusion in a Weight-Loss Diet Supported Weight Loss and Altered Gut Microbiota: A 12-Week Randomized, Parallel-Controlled Trial Curr Dev Nutr. 2019 Jun 12;3(8):nzz068. doi: 10.1093/cdn/nzz068. eCollection 2019 Aug. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31367691/
- M K Kemelo, L Wojnarová, N Kutinová Canová, et al. D-galactosamine/lipopolysaccharide-induced hepatotoxicity downregulates sirtuin 1 in rat liver: role of sirtuin 1 modulation in hepatoprotection Physiol Res. 2014;63(5):615-23. doi: 10.33549/physiolres.932761. Epub 2014 Jun 5. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24908092/
- Susan J. Hewlings and Douglas S. Kalman Curcumin: A Review of Its’ Effects on Human Health Foods. 2017 Oct; 6(10): 92.Published online 2017 Oct 22. doi: 10.3390/foods6100092
- Kednapa Thavorn, Muhammad M Mamdani, and Sharon E Straus Efficacy of turmeric in the treatment of digestive disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol Syst Rev. 2014; 3: 71.Published online 2014 Jun 28. doi: 10.1186/2046-4053-3-71
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Alisha Matthew has been a practicing nutritionist since 2016. She holds a master’s degree in nutrition from the University of IOWA. She is a staunch believer in improving the human health index by educating people about nutrition and the importance of nutrition in leading a healthy and happy life. Her long-term goal is to keep educating people on general health and keep herself updated with the latest trends in the field of health.