We all desire to give our bodies a perfect shape and portion. The diet plan plays an essential role in achieving this dream.
Some people successfully get their desired body shape, while some people, despite following all protocols, fail to reach their goals.
If you’re eating very limited portions but still gaining weight, there is no need to blame yourself.
Weight loss, especially while setting up a big goal, needs proper instructions and a diet plan.
One major secret to losing weight is finding out an accurate balance for every person.
Calories are one biggest factor that people should keep in their mind. Burning calories is a very dynamic and complicated process.
Our body has several factors that affect daily calorie intake. Every process is relevant for losing weight.
Any of these factors can stop you from losing weight if the process doesn’t take place properly.
Reasons Why Diets Don't Work?
Let’s check out the major reasons why you’re not losing weight despite lots of effort.
Well, hunger is certain for every person.
We all, at some point in the day, feel hungry and eager to eat something to get rid of it.
But remember that if you’re eating too often or eating a huge amount of food, it may not provide you with accurate and healthy nutrients.
While eating anything, you need to choose those foods whichcome higher in fiber because a high-fiber diet keeps you satiated. Moreover, build meals full of protein and complex carbs, not just empty calories.
Eating lots of snacks to eliminate hunger can increase calorie intake in your body and lead to increased body weight.
Nighttime snacking after the last meal of the day could also be responsible for weight gain and in some cases, it could also lead to obesity.
A better lifestyle that may lengthen life expectancy can also be attained by altering dietary habits and self-monitoring what is good or harmful for your health.
People going to the office every workday usually face problems with their diet plans. In most occupations, they spend the majority of their time at their desks.
These kinds of occupations may decrease your energy output.
However, we can understand that it’s not possible to change occupations for this reason only. But we can try out a few things that will bring a lot of change to our bodies.
A solution for such sedentary job types could be structured onsite physical activity programs.
As per this study, these structured onsite activity programs may improve overall health in active as well as inactive employees.
Additionally, you can do some physical activities at your job. All you have to do is to stand while typing, try to avoid the elevator, and use the stairs.
Lack Of Sleep
Sleep is one of the important parts of our daily life. We all know the value of getting enough time to sleep.
Mostly, people feel fatigued and low on energy. Inadequate sleep patterns can harm health by interfering with diet plans and the anticipated weight loss outcomes.
Experts advise getting at least 7 hours of sleep per night.
Food choices are very important if you’re looking to lose weight.
Many people make this mistake and opt for some unnecessary foods that increase the calorie intake in the body.
You have to check out the calorie counts of those foods which you’re taking in your diet plan.
Sometimes people eat the correct food, but due to its intake in high quantities, they start gaining weight. Thus, it depends on what type of food you are consuming and from where the calories are being consumed from.
You should note that any food that you’re consuming in very high quantities will lead to weight gain.
You can make a diet plan with your nutritionists. They will provide you with a diet plan according to your body’s requirements.
Many people try to avoid stress by eating food. Stress may make you eat more. Yes, it sounds very unusual, but in reality, many people do this.
Food comforts our bodies both physically and mentally. But at the same time, it increases the number of calories in our bodies.
There are many alternatives to this like you can do yoga or reach out to friends and your family or any close person who could comfort you.
Many people try to eat small meals multiple times a day. They do this to avoid big meals at mealtime. However, it affects our bodies a lot.
Eating more times a day means your body is getting more calories per day, which isn’t good if you’re trying to lose weight. Eating more than six meals per day may cause detrimental effects on health, leading to an unhealthy lifestyle and different diseases.
Many people take two or three snacks to avoid big meals.
This strategy may be considered good, but you need to know the number of calories you’re aiming to get per day.
We all know how fat can increase our weight.
Foods that have high-fat content contain calories in more quantities. People try to take low-fat food multiple times in the illusion that it will help them to lose weight.
These low-fat proteins can increase your weight by providing more calories, so you must calculate your fat intake and then eat those foods.
Diets Increase Cravings
We all know how difficult it is to control ourselves on a diet.
Beginners especially can’t hold for long and they break their diet plans to have some snacks or foods that contain a lot of calories.
In this part, psychological theory comes into action. Imagine you’re on a diet and controlling yourself to avoid ice cream, your mind will increase the craving to eat that ice cream.
Most people can’t hold themselves and eat foods like ice cream and cake which don’t help them to lose weight.
Calorie restriction could be considered an effective tool to manage cravings and people should prefer a low-carb diet full of nutrients.
Non-Exercise Activity Level
Non-exercise activity level or NEAT is the amount of energy expended while performing daily activities that don’t involve physical exercises like walking to the grocery store, house cleaning, washing clothes, etc.
NEAT could bring major lifestyle changes and may work as an effective tool to manage the effects of obesity. Thus, being active and doing daily tasks could help in managing diet schedules as well.
Things To Do If A Diet Isn't Working
Get A Nutrition And Lifestyle Coach
You don’t have to demotivate yourself if your diet isn’t working out.
Lots of people, in the beginning, didn’t have any idea of a diet plan and they messed up, which badly affected their body shape.
If you are confused and don’t know how to begin a diet plan, then you should contact a diet coach or instructor.
These coaches have a broad knowledge of diet plans. They can guide you in every prospect of what you should eat and how much.
A coach will guide you and you can make food decisions of self-trust.
Contacting experts can save time and your chances of getting desired results will also increase.
Change Your Diet Plan
Following a diet plan may not give you perfect results and this will leave you frustrated.
But instead of following a strict diet plan, you could rather modify the food you eat regularly.
Imagine if you’re drinking soda regularly, you can replace this soda with carbonated water.
You can prepare a simple meal instead of eating a heavy lunch.
Green vegetables are a source of nutrients. Consuming vegetables for energy sources could help in sustained weight loss.
You should add these vegetables to your diet plan for getting fast results,
Instead of following a diet that may or may not suit your body, you can simply prepare and modify meal plans that suit you more.
Fruits are another best alternative for diets. All fruits contain different vitamins which help in losing weight.
You can take fruits regularly as they have many advantages apart from losing weight. Eating fruits and consuming them with lean meat and protein could help in weight management.
Planning has become an important factor in people’s daily lives when they are eager to lose weight rapidly.
People try their best to get rid of unnecessary and unhealthy weight by following a strict diet plan.
However, everyone can’t get desired results despite following diets strictly.
Sometimes people follow diet plans that aren’t suitable for their body and, rather, they start to gain more weight.
Dieting requires patience, determination, and proper guidance to get the best results.
If you’re among those people who diet to achieve your dream body shape, then you need to gain proper knowledge of diet plans.
Working4Health prefers using primary and verified references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and our primary references include peer-reviewed research, academic, and medical institution studies.
- Michelle J Clark , Joanne L Slavin. The effect of fiber on satiety and food intake: a systematic review. J Am Coll Nutr. 2013;32(3):200-11.doi: 10.1080/07315724.2013.791194. Available from https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23885994/
- Xiaoyang Liu, Chunlin Zheng, Cheng Xu, et al. Nighttime snacking is associated with risk of obesity and hyperglycemia in adults: a cross-sectional survey from Chinese adult teachers. J Biomed Res. 2017; 31(6): 541–547. doi: 10.7555/JBR.31.20160083
- Improving Your Eating Habits. Available from https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/eating_habits.html
- Pauline M. Genin, Pascal Dessenne, Julien Finaud, et al. Effect of Work-Related Sedentary Time on Overall Health Profile in Active vs. Inactive Office Workers. Front Public Health. 2018; 6: 279.Published online 2018 Oct 1. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2018.00279
- Arlet V. Nedeltcheva, Jennifer M. Kilkus, Jacqueline Imperial, et al. Insufficient sleep undermines dietary efforts to reduce adiposity. Ann Intern Med. 2010 Oct 5; 153(7): 435–441. doi: 10.1059/0003-4819-153-7-201010050-00006
- How Much Sleep Do I Need? Available from https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/how_much_sleep.html
- Food and Diet. Available from https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight/
- Why stress causes people to overeat. Available from https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/why-stress-causes-people-to-overeat
- Antonio Paoli, Grant Tinsley, Antonino Bianco, et al. The Influence of Meal Frequency and Timing on Health in Humans: The Role of Fasting. Nutrients. 2019 Apr; 11(4): 719.Published online 2019 Mar 28. doi: 10.3390/nu11040719
- Cravings Available from: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/cravings/
- Christian von Loeffelholz and Andreas Birkenfeld.The Role of Non-exercise Activity Thermogenesis in Human Obesity. Last Update: April 9, 2018. Available from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK279077/
- L C Tapsell, M J Batterham, L Thorne, et al. Weight loss effects from vegetable intake: a 12-month randomised controlled trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2014 Jul; 68(7): 778–785.Published online 2014 Mar 26. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2014.39
- How to Use Fruits and Vegetables to Help Manage Your Weight. Available from https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/healthy_eating/fruits_vegetables.html
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Alisha Matthew has been a practicing nutritionist since 2016. She holds a master’s degree in nutrition from the University of IOWA. She is a staunch believer in improving the human health index by educating people about nutrition and the importance of nutrition in leading a healthy and happy life. Her long-term goal is to keep educating people on general health and keep herself updated with the latest trends in the field of health.