Stress has filled up the life of many people, and its intensity decides the effect it may have on you. But, conversely, a certain quantity of it may turn out a product in your success.
On the contrary, a certain amount might be catastrophic for your health. Stress is considered a feeling you have that tenses you and your senses about something that worries you.
We all know worrying about something is human nature. Whereas worrying too much can be mentally exhausting.
That is why it is usually recommended to stay away from stress and try to stay happy, or your life may turn dark.
Sexual health and stress are also related to most people. Hence, being stress-free could do wonders for your sexual health as well.
Stress and worry are two bad feelings that usually come hand in hand. Stress is nothing but worrying about something on exponentially higher levels. So, it can be a heavily alarming level.
It can be on such a level that it may even trigger anxiety. Therefore, anxiety is something that, to an extent, also may need heavy medication for treatment.
This is why taking the least amount of stress possible is always recommended.
In this article, we will discuss stress and a few quick and effective ways to handle and reduce stress in your body on a mental level.
Ways to Reduce Stress
As important as it is to lower stress in your daily life, it is hard to understand how to. Stress reduction is a fairly easy process but hard to pertain to.
There are a few ways through which one can effectively reduce stress.
Breathing is a very effective non-voluntary activity of the body that can help you in both physical and mental ways.
Doctors always recommend you occasionally practice breathing exercises since they can enhance your daily routine and help you calm your senses.
Meditation and yoga also rely heavily on breathing. Slow and deep breaths are the types of breaths that are effective in all sorts of medical processes.
The reason is the calming property of the breathing cycle exercise.
Music is an instrument that defines one’s personality. No matter what song, songs themselves help one decide the mood of the person.
Music can encourage, sadden or even fill one with joy. This merry source of entertainment might also help calm one’s senses.
Therefore a reliable choice of music can work wonders. The study suggests that a person under stress to listen to either calming music or the music one likes.
Walking is one of the most crucial parts of life and can help you in many ways. Walking regularly can improve one’s physical health, strength, and stamina.
It also supports body immunity and makes your life easier. A quick soothing walk that opens your senses could help you sustain yourself, both mentally and physically.
Look For Sun
The sun can lift your spirits very high. A bright sunny day is a happy day. Happy days give you happiness. Hence, bright light and warmth can be effective aids for depression.
A radiant sunny environment can cheer you up well enough. Doctors themselves recommend so. Therefore, on a sad day, the sun is a good thing to rely on to lift away your stress.
Massages relax your body well. Instant relief from stress on the body and mind can be relieved from massage.
Specifically, head massages themselves can help you relieve stress on many levels. Applying some lotion or pressing your thumb can also help you in the same way.
Acupuncture itself is a promising method to alleviate stress. That is the reason behind the extensive use of many massages to relieve their customers.
If it is hard for you to find a masseuse, giving a head massage yourself can also help which isn’t that hard a process.
Stretching after exercise gives your body immense relief. It highly helps to release a lot of muscle tension.
This is why the same exercise itself can help you in relieving stress. Stretching is a comforting exercise that helps your complete body.
Relaxed muscles give a lot of relief to the mind itself. That is why stretching is highly recommended to help you relieve stress on many levels.
So next time you feel stressed you can opt for stretching too.
Closing Your Eyes
The eyes are one of the body parts that are active almost all the time. The eyes play a tremendous role in your stress too.
Eyes see everything and reciprocate your stress. Thus closing your eyes can immensely help in regaining calm and focus.
Taking a break is very important. So occasionally, just close your eyes and feel the bliss of life itself.
A highly debatable topic is the use of stress balls. Many people claim it to be very effective whereas many people agree to disagree.
The use of stress balls is effective objectively depending on the person. These objects can be useful for one and waste for others.
Stress balls also help you in anger management where you can squeeze the ball instead of breaking stuff.
These portable objects are a handy option to effectively relieve stress. Do remember that its usage has an objective success rate.
This means that it might or might not help you in your need. All of it depends on your personality.
Yoga is a method of exercise for instance. This certain field of exercise has many benefits for your body. These benefits can be physical, mental or both.
There are many yoga exercises in the field itself which have different purposes but all of them have the same goal.
This ayurvedic methodology is a very effective tool to improve the human body. These exercises can build your physique and relax you while giving you mental peace.
Mental peace is all you need to stay out of stress. Yoga is the key to reducing stress. Even though being underrated this ayurvedic practice can have exponentially effective results.
Often mistaken for yoga, meditation itself is an ayurvedic field that has many benefits.
Solely relieving stress, meditation is the best way to increase your focus and stay mentally healthy.
Meditation is a mental health marvel. This certain exercise is evidence of immense effects. Besides helping you increase focus, it also helps you get better in physical health.
While meditating you need to find a quiet place. There you focus on streamlining your breath with your heart and hence find peace in yourself.
You can easily find yourself deep into the peaceful blissful experience of this exercise. As you do so, you lose all the stress in no time.
Laughter is the best medicine one can get. This is a universal fact and an effective one.
People in old age usually practice laughter sessions. The sessions are done only to stay healthy at that age.
Laughter gives you peace and mental strength besides keeping your organs happy. This distinct joyful ride keeps the functioning of your organs fresh.
Therefore, it is proposed to consume comedy content more than other similar sources. Laughter highly improves your blood flow and further helps to boost immunity.
Stress can be relieved by sharing thoughts. Since stress increases with keeping things to yourself, you need to let everything out.
In hard times, when you cannot trust people, it is hard to do so. Your stress might become one’s joy and sometimes turn into something more catastrophic.
There is another means by which you can share how you feel. Keeping a journal is an effective way to reduce stress.
Writing your feelings down in a journal or a paper will help you share your thoughts. Hence, it helps reduce your stress levels to an exponentially high amount.
Journaling can also reduce your nervousness before any event.
Cut Off-Screen Time
In the world of social media, real connections are losing importance. This habit is toxic in many ways.
Wasting too much time online means less productivity. Hence you might feel the workload.
Moreover, comparing life to others and their terms of success kills self-confidence. It is important to keep yourself updated, but appreciate your time and progress.
Make connections in real life. Stop using your phone half an hour before bed. Relax your mind to get enough sleep.
In the end, we can clearly say that stress is not a good sign for your health. You should stay away from it since it tends to ruin your life.
There are multiple ways by which you can reduce stress. These methods can help you stay happy for longer periods.
Besides this, these mentioned activities also have health benefits on physical levels.
Also, drinking water can be a good way to reduce stress. Increasing the level of water consumption immensely affects our brains in a good way.
Most importantly, you need to remember stress is not the solution. So wave goodbye to your worries. Live and laugh!
Working4Health prefers using primary and verified references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and our primary references include peer-reviewed research, academic, and medical institution studies.
- Breathing to reduce stress Reviewed on: 30-09-2015 Available from:https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/breathing-to-reduce-stress
- Alexandra Linnemann, Beate Ditzen, Jana Strahler, et al. Music listening as a means of stress reduction in daily lifePsychoneuroendocrinology. 2015 Oct;60:82-90. doi: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2015.06.008. Epub 2015 Jun 21. Available from:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26142566/
- Meghan K. Edwards and Paul D. Loprinzi Experimental effects of brief, single bouts of walking and meditation on mood profile in young adultsHealth Promot Perspect. 2018; 8(3): 171–178.Published online 2018 Jul 7. doi: 10.15171/hpp.2018.23
- M. Nathaniel Mead Benefits of Sunlight: A Bright Spot for Human HealthEnviron Health Perspect. 2008 Apr; 116(4): A160–A167.doi: 10.1289/ehp.116-a160
- In-Hong Kim, Tae-Young Kim, Young-Wan Ko. The effect of a scalp massage on stress hormone, blood pressure, and heart rate of healthy femaleJ Phys Ther Sci. 2016 Oct;28(10):2703-2707. doi: 10.1589/jpts.28.2703. Epub 2016 Oct 28. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27821918/
- Beate Wild, Judith Brenner, Stefanie Joos, et al. Acupuncture in persons with an increased stress level—Results from a randomized-controlled pilot trial PLoS One. 2020; 15(7): e0236004.Published online 2020 Jul 23. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0236004
- STRETCHING TO RELIEVE STRESS Available from: https://health.wayne.edu/stretching-to-relieve-stress/
- Samantha K. Norelli; Ashley Long; Jeffrey M. Krepps. Relaxation Techniques Last Update: September 6, 2021. Available from:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513238/
- Arianna F Yanes, Alexandra Weil, Karina C Furlan, et al. Effect of Stress Ball Use or Hand-holding on Anxiety During Skin Cancer Excision: A Randomized Clinical Trial JAMA Dermatol. 2018 Sep 1;154(9):1045-1049. doi: 10.1001/jamadermatol.2018.1783. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30027283/
- Catherine Woodyard Exploring the therapeutic effects of yoga and its ability to increase quality of life Int J Yoga. 2011 Jul-Dec; 4(2): 49–54.doi: 10.4103/0973-6131.85485
- Masoumeh Shohani, Gholamreza Badfar, Marzieh Parizad Nasirkandy, et al. The Effect of Yoga on Stress, Anxiety, and Depression in Women Int J Prev Med. 2018; 9: 21.Published online 2018 Feb 21. doi: 10.4103/ijpvm.IJPVM_242_16
- Madhav Goyal, Sonal Singh, Erica M. S. Sibinga, et al. Meditation Programs for Psychological Stress and Well-being: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Mar; 174(3): 357–368.doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.13018
- JongEun Yim Therapeutic Benefits of Laughter in Mental Health: A Theoretical Review Tohoku J Exp Med. 2016 Jul;239(3):243-9. doi: 10.1620/tjem.239.243. Available from:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27439375/
- Andrea N. Niles, Kate E. Haltom, Catherine M. Mulvenna, et al. Effects of Expressive Writing on Psychological and Physical Health: The Moderating Role of Emotional Expressivity Anxiety Stress Coping. 2014 Jan; 27(1): 10.1080/10615806.2013.802308.Published online 2013 Jun 6. doi: 10.1080/10615806.2013.802308
- Jean M. Twengea and W. Keith Campbell Associations between screen time and lower psychological well-being among children and adolescents: Evidence from a population-based study Prev Med Rep. 2018 Dec; 12: 271–283.Published online 2018 Oct 18. doi: 10.1016/j.pmedr.2018.10.003
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Otella has an experience of around eight years of writing about health and nutrition-related topics. She is a full-time mother and a housewife, and the time she has left after doing her mother and household duties is spent writing for Working for Health as a full-time writer. Her life goal is to raise both her boys into a gentleman, and at the same time, she wants to educate people on how to keep themselves fit by tweaking their daily diet.