Hunger at night could make you eat plenty of calories unknowingly. Generally, people who work late at night do late-night snacking irrespective of their last meals.
Here, people doing different things to lose weight fail to reduce their calorie intake.
Hence, they may require a pack of healthy and sustainable food items below 200 calories for late-night snacking.
This article will list several delicious and healthy food items that you may consider late-night snacks.
Best Healthy Late-Night Snacks
Kiwis are highly nutritious and diet-friendly fruit you could consume as a late-night snack.
The fruit offers minimum calories, plenty of fiber, and other nutrients like Vitamin C. Hence, you could easily consider them to curb your hunger at night.
Besides nutrition, kiwis could be better for inducing sleep. It is believed that people suffering from sleep disorders may recover by adding kiwis to their diet.
Generally, kiwis are rich in a nerve messenger called serotonin that gives a relaxing effect to consumers and reduces carbohydrate cravings.
Thus, such a calm effect would make you fall asleep quickly.
Nuts are one of the best options for late-night snacks. You may consume a variety of nuts, including cashew, walnut, ground nut, almonds, etc.
These nuts contain healthy nutrients that you would require for better health and weight loss.
Generally, nuts contain natural melatonin; hence, they may help improve the sleep-wake cycle.
Additionally, they contain minerals, including magnesium and zinc, essential for several metabolic processes.
Moreover, nuts could be highly effective in lowering hunger late at night. They could be a better alternative to different salty and sugary snacks.
But, you should be careful with quantity as excessive consumption may cause high-calorie intake.
Eating one or two hard-boiled eggs at night would make you feel full.
It would be strange to consider hard-boiled eggs as late-night snacks, but they help an individual in multiple ways.
Eggs are one of the richest sources of protein and other beneficial nutrients that mayhelp increase melatonin production in the body.
Thus, it would help you have a good and sound sleep at night. Hard-boiled eggs allow you to consume them in a variety of ways.
Generally, people prefer making a boiled-egg salad by sprinkling special seasonings or other veggies like chopped tomato, onion, etc.
Do you have a sweet tooth or love eating something sweet at night? Generally, eating sugary snacks late at night could increase your calorie intake.
Here, sweet potatoes could be a significant alternative to your sweet snacks.
Sweet potatoes contain numerous beneficial nutrients, including magnesium, potassium, B vitamins, calcium, fiber, etc.
Thus, these nutrients couldimprove digestion and gut health alongside inducing sleep.
You may consume sweet potatoes in multiple ways based on your preferences. Generally, people prefer baked or air-fried sweet potatoes.
But, you may also prepare a delicious and healthy late-night snack with sweet potato, nut butter, and honey.
Cereal And Milk
Isn’t cereal and milk a morning meal? Yes, it is a breakfast meal, but it could also be a good late-night snack.
People consuming cereal and milk in a limited quantity may fall asleep faster. Generally, cereals contain glycemic carbohydrates, which are responsible for inducing sleep.
Besides cereal, adding milk wouldincrease your calcium intake, which helps increase sleep hormone production, i.e., melatonin.
Moreover, melatonin gives a relaxing and calm feeling that allows you to sleep peacefully.
But, you should be careful with the portion to control the calorie intake. You may check the package’s nutritional values for exact calorie calculation.
Berries could make a healthy and delicious late-night snack. You may choose among multiple berries, but blackberries and goji berries are good options for sleep.
These berries are high in fiber, making you feel full quickly and limiting your calorie intake.
Moreover, they are a better source of antioxidants like carotenoids thatmay aid weight loss.
Berries also contain melatonin, magnesium, and other nutrients that may help relax nerves and muscles and improve your sleep.
You could take up a few berries in a bowl and sprinkle some seasonings, like pepper, salt, etc., to enhance the flavor.
You may also try dried goji berries to control your calorie consumption.
Popcorn could be a significant snack for your late-night movie plans. It could easily suppress your hunger pangs without disturbing your daily calorie intake.
Popcorn contains higher fiber that may help slow digestion and make you feel full for longer.
Besides fibers, popcorn is a good source of magnesium which plays a significant role in improving sleep.
But, it contains a considerable amount of carbohydrates; thus, you should keep a check on the quantity.
You shouldavoid buttery or caramelized popcorn to keep calorie consumption under control.
Moreover, plain-salted or unflavored popcorn would be better as a low-calorie late-night snack.
Protein shakes are the perfect source to supply your body with proteins essential for muscle growth.
Moreover, such a beverage allows you to shed a few pounds while losing weight.
People consuming soy-based protein shakes supply their bodies with tryptophan, an amino acid that helps increase the production of serotonin and melatonin, essential for improving sleep quality.
Similarly, green smoothies prepared using different green veggies like kale, spinach, etc., could be an effective late-night beverage.
These smoothies contain several essential nutrients, including antioxidants, magnesium, potassium, calcium, etc., that could help improve sleep quality and sleep cycle.
Yogurt could be perfect to satiate your hunger at night. Moreover, adding some fruits, like berries, nuts, etc., to your yogurt-containing bowl would help increase the flavor and benefits.
Yogurt is a good source of calcium thatplays a significant role in boosting bone health.
Moreover, tryptophan, an amino acid, utilizes calcium to enhance the production of melatonin required for better sleep quality.
Greek yogurt contains casein protein that has been linked with hunger reduction, therefore it is among the few effective condiments for weight loss.
People consuming Greek yogurt at night may feel less hungry in the morning, resulting in low-calorie intake.
But, you should prefer taking unsweetened yogurt to lower your sugar intake.
One large banana would be enough to curb your hunger. Bananas contain a high amount of fiber that helps increase the feeling of fullness and reduce appetite.
Moreover, tropical fruit like bananas could be highly beneficial in improving the digestion process.
People who eat bananas late at night would boost their bodies with melatonin essential for better sleep.
Moreover, bananas naturally contain a never messenger called serotonin which converts into melatonin.
Higher serotonin concentration has also been linked with an elevated and relaxed mood.
Besides all benefits, bananas couldsignificantly contribute magnesium to the body.
Hence, boosted magnesium concentration prevents insomnia symptoms and improves sleep quality.
Warm oatmeal could be a filling meal late at night. Oats contain several vital nutrients, including fibers, proteins, healthy fats, and considerable carbohydrates.
Moreover, oats contain an antioxidant called avenanthramides that increases nitric oxide production resulting in a lowered risk for heart diseases.
Oats also contain a crucial fiber, beta-glucan, which helps maintain the cholesterol levels in the blood.
People consuming a bowl of oatmeal would comfortably satiate their hunger.
To enhance the flavor, you mayadd some items like banana slices, maple syrup, cinnamon powder, etc.
You won’t be able to deny a packet of vegetable snacks late at night.
Vegetable snacks prepared using vegetables like beetroot, sweet potato, okra, etc., contain healthy nutrients which wouldbenefit overall health.
Moreover, these chips do not interfere with your daily calorie intake; hence, they are a reliable snack option.
You should prefer consuming homemade baked chips, as fried chips could be unsafe for your health, especially your heart.
But, you should keep a check on the quantity to keep the calorie intake under control.
Pumpkin seeds aren’t highly preferred as a late-night snack, but they could make one of the most nutritious snacks after dinner. Also, they might be useful to stop binge eating at night.
Pumpkin seeds are known for sufficiently supplying magnesium to your body whichis essential for different metabolic activities, especially for improving sleep quality.
Moreover, these tiny seeds are rich in tryptophan which increases melatonin secretion in the body.
You may consume pumpkin seeds alongside raisins or fresh fruit to boost their role in improving sleep.
You may add pumpkin seed garnishing to your healthy vegetable salad for higher benefits.
Fruits are always a better option to satisfy hunger pangs. Grapes would be the best choice if it’s about late-night snacks.
The low-calorie fruit contains multiple vitamins, minerals, and essential compounds essential for the body’s metabolism.
Moreover, these tiny balls naturally contain melatonin which wouldhelp improve your sleep pattern.
You may prefer consuming frozen grapes as they enhance the overall texture and flavor.
Moreover, you may add cottage cheese garnishing to your grape bowl to boost the flavor.
Late-night snacking has been considered a culprit during weight loss. But, selecting the right food could help you lose weight and sleep comfortably.
Hence, picking a few items from the above list for late-night snacking could help curb your hunger. Moreover, you may create a good mix of items for better taste and health benefits.
- Hsiao-Han Lin,Pei-Shan Tsai, Su-Chen Fang,et al. Effect of kiwifruit consumption on sleep quality in adults with sleep problems Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2011;20(2):169-74. Available from:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21669584/
- Emilio Ros Health Benefits of Nut Consumption Nutrients. 2010 Jul; 2(7): 652–682.Published online 2010 Jun 24. doi: 10.3390/nu2070652
- Eggs Available from:https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/eggs/
- Satheesh Neela and Solomon W. Fanta Review on nutritional composition of orange‐fleshed sweet potato and its role in management of vitamin A deficiency Food Sci Nutr. 2019 Jun; 7(6): 1920–1945.Published online 2019 May 17. doi: 10.1002/fsn3.1063
- Rebecca B Costello, Cynthia V Lentino, Courtney C Boyd,et al. The effectiveness of melatonin for promoting healthy sleep: a rapid evidence assessment of the literature Nutr J. 2014; 13: 106.Published online 2014 Nov 7. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-13-106
- Fiber Available from:https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/fiber/
- Michael G. Coco, Jr. and Joe A. Vinson Analysis of Popcorn (Zea Mays L. var. Everta) for Antioxidant Capacity and Total Phenolic Content Antioxidants (Basel). 2019 Jan; 8(1): 22.Published online 2019 Jan 14. doi: 10.3390/antiox8010022
- Stefan M Pasiakos,Tom M McLellan, Harris R Lieberman The effects of protein supplements on muscle mass, strength, and aerobic and anaerobic power in healthy adults: a systematic review Review Sports Med. 2015 Jan;45(1):111-31. doi: 10.1007/s40279-014-0242-2. Available from:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25169440/
- Calcium Available from:https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium/
- Ana Luisa Falcomer,Roberta Figueiredo Resende Riquette,Bernardo Romão de Lima,et al. Health Benefits of Green Banana Consumption: A Systematic Review Nutrients. 2019 Jun; 11(6): 1222.Published online 2019 May 29. doi: 10.3390/nu11061222
- Prasad Rasane, Alok Jha,Latha Sabikhi,et al. Nutritional advantages of oats and opportunities for its processing as value added foods – a review J Food Sci Technol. 2015 Feb; 52(2): 662–675.Published online 2013 Jun 25. doi: 10.1007/s13197-013-1072-1
- Parvin Mirmiran,Zeinab Houshialsadat,Zahra Gaeini,et al. Functional properties of beetroot (Beta vulgaris) in management of cardio-metabolic diseases Nutr Metab (Lond). 2020; 17: 3.Published online 2020 Jan 7. doi: 10.1186/s12986-019-0421-0
- Gerry K. Schwalfenberg and Stephen J. Genuis The Importance of Magnesium in Clinical Healthcare Scientifica (Cairo). 2017; 2017: 4179326.Published online 2017 Sep 28. doi: 10.1155/2017/4179326
- Anne-Laure Tardy,Etienne Pouteau,Daniel Marquez,et al. Vitamins and Minerals for Energy, Fatigue and Cognition: A Narrative Review of the Biochemical and Clinical Evidence Nutrients. 2020 Jan; 12(1): 228.Published online 2020 Jan 16. doi: 10.3390/nu12010228
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Alisha Matthew has been a practicing nutritionist since 2016. She holds a master’s degree in nutrition from the University of IOWA. She is a staunch believer in improving the human health index by educating people about nutrition and the importance of nutrition in leading a healthy and happy life. Her long-term goal is to keep educating people on general health and keep herself updated with the latest trends in the field of health.