Protein might be your favorite nutrient to eat but it has to be balanced too. You couldn’t binge on certain nutrients just because you like them too much.
Talking about the dosage of proteins per day for an average human body. So it couldn’t be asserted until and unless a few important factors are considered.
In addition, the first factor may be the healthy balance in your body.
The other factors which are important while concluding a result for protein per day are your age, muscle mass, or your daily activities and their intensity.
Protein dosage according to DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.36 grams of protein per pound (0.8 grams per kg) of body weight.
Moreover, this rough range of protein requirements is not a firm decision. Hence, you should always look for a better way.
So it is advisable to consult a well-educated dietician to have a proper chart of protein range.
Now here in this article, we would know more about the protein dosage, importance, sources, and drawbacks.
Factors Determining Daily Protein Requirement
Daily Calories Average
This is the primary step for measuring the dosage of protein per day. You should keep a track of the calories you have been eating all day.
According to a study, adults should get 10% and 35% of their total calories from protein intake.
Evaluating it more, whatever calories you have eaten count it.
Next, you need to multiply the calorie number by 10% and 35% to get your range. Hence, by this, you could get a range of protein intake from calories each day.
Each Day Protein Gram Range
This is the easiest and most convenient way to approach the protein requirement of your body. Here you couldset a certain number of protein grams to eat every day.
Now to get the exact score of a protein gram. You have to eat 200 to 700 protein calories to get 50 to 175 grams of protein per day with a total calorie count of 2,000.
Using Your Weight and Activity
Now each body weight differs and hence the strength factor is the next major drawback to it.
You couldcount on your weight and physical activity level for calculating the protein needed each day.
Normally, an adult is required to eat 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. For eg: a person with an 80 kg weight must require 64 grams of protein per day.
The activity of the body could increase or decrease the need for protein in your body.
Athletes are very active with their bodies and hence they are required to have more protein intake than usual.
The average calculation of protein dosage for athletes is 1.2 grams and 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day.
Cases Where Protein Range Differs
Although, there are some exceptions for certain people with the following cases:
- Old people are generally between 60 to 80 years or more. They are said to have more protein needed than the average human adult.1.0 to 1.2 grams per kilogram of body weight per day.
- Similarly, pregnant women shouldhave protein. Even the lactating mother needs extra protein. 0.88 grams to 1.1 grams per kilogram of body weight per day.
- The protein needed in a human with kidney problems is different from normal adults. 0.6 grams to 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight per day.
- Plus the highly trained athletes who play sports or perform training need extra protein. This could be determined with the examination of the body and physical activity levels.
Importance Of Protein
Since we have understood the range of protein intake every day. We should also know the importance of protein in our body too.
There are numerous benefits associated with the proteins and they are extremely pivotal. Proteins consist of a group of amino acids that are linked with each other.
There is a certain limit of amino acids made in your body, but the remaining requirement of amino acids is by eating a well-balanced protein diet.
- Proteins are helpful to build your muscles, tendons, organs, skin, enzymes, hormones, nervous system, hair, neurotransmitters, and various molecules whichare relevant to your body.
- Proteins are known to be a carrier mechanism for oxygen, fats, vitamins, and minerals.
- Proteins could be a significant asset to hold energy instantly.
- Weight gain is reduced to an extent by eating protein-rich diets. Proteins take time to get digested in your body and henceyou don’t feel hungry quickly.
- Sea foods are another great option for eating protein. Plus it provides your body with extra essentials such as omega-3 fatty acids which are very healthy for your body.
- Pregnant women must eat a protein-rich diet. It has been reported that protein plays a key role in shaping a healthy body for both mother and child.
Source Of Getting Protein
You couldstart with animal-based protein options which are lean meats, chicken, fish, eggs, and dairy products. It could be eaten only when you are nonvegetarian.
These are all great sources of getting protein intake in your diet. One could try these items with various interesting recipes for their meals.
In addition, the vegetarian or plant-based options to get protein are soy, nuts, seeds, quinoa, legumes, beans, and lentils.
They could be lowkey and look exciting to eat. Yet they have a powerful protein to provide for your body. If you don’t want to be very precise about eating protein grams every day.
Then One has to be very strict with the diet that must include protein items to keep the body healthy. Some supplements aid the protein requirement in the body.
Although, athletes and trainers prefer having protein supplements to work on their physique and build muscles.
It is always advisable to get nourished with a natural source of protein rather than going for processed powders.
Drawbacks Of Overeating Protein
Sometimes people may get involved in eating too much protein. Overeating always results in disaster.
Although with the protein you might not get into trouble even if you have eaten too much protein.
If you keep track of your calorie count then you may not end up with weight gain. As weight gain is the biggest concern when you have overeaten protein.
In addition, it is always a better way to maintain a healthy boundary around all the nutrients equally.
You must not eat protein and neglect the requirement of carbohydrates and fats in your body. This could risk your kidney.
It has been reported that overeating protein has the biggest risk of kidney disease. Hence, people with any kind of kidney problem shouldevaluate their protein intake closely.
When we eat protein, some part of it is excreted through urine. While the other portion is stored as glucose in our body for energy.
Hence, we should not assume that overeating protein would not make any difference.
Hydration and eating a well-balanced diet with all the relevant macronutrients is the plan behind a healthy body. One should strike a balance between all the nutrients with healthy limits.
- How much protein do you need every day? January 19, 2022 Available from:https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096
- Protein Available from:https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/protein/#how-much-need
- Margrit Richter,Kurt Baerlocher,Jürgen M. Bauer,et al. Revised Reference Values for the Intake of Protein Ann Nutr Metab. 2019 Apr; 74(3): 242–250.Published online 2019 Mar 22. doi: 10.1159/000499374
- Caryl Nowson and Stella O’Connell Protein Requirements and Recommendations for Older People: A Review Nutrients. 2015 Aug; 7(8): 6874–6899.Published online 2015 Aug 14. doi: 10.3390/nu7085311
- Rajavel Elango and Ronald O Ball Protein and Amino Acid Requirements during Pregnancy Adv Nutr. 2016 Jul; 7(4): 839S–844S.Published online 2016 Jul 11. doi: 10.3945/an.115.011817
- Tanner Stokes, Amy J. Hector, Robert W. Morton,et al. Recent Perspectives Regarding the Role of Dietary Protein for the Promotion of Muscle Hypertrophy with Resistance Exercise Training Nutrients. 2018 Feb; 10(2): 180.Published online 2018 Feb 7. doi: 10.3390/nu10020180
- Heather J Leidy,Peter M Clifton,Arne Astrup,et al. The role of protein in weight loss and maintenance Am J Clin Nutr
. 2015 Jun;101(6):1320S-1329S. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.114.084038. Epub 2015 Apr 29. Available from:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25926512/
- Steven R. Hertzler,Jacqueline C. Lieblein-Boff,Mary Weiler,et al. Plant Proteins: Assessing Their Nutritional Quality and Effects on Health and Physical Function Nutrients. 2020 Dec; 12(12): 3704.Published online 2020 Nov 30. doi: 10.3390/nu12123704
- Ioannis Delimaris Adverse Effects Associated with Protein Intake above the Recommended Dietary Allowance for Adults ISRN Nutr. 2013; 2013: 126929.Published online 2013 Jul 18. doi: 10.5402/2013/126929
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Alisha Matthew has been a practicing nutritionist since 2016. She holds a master’s degree in nutrition from the University of IOWA. She is a staunch believer in improving the human health index by educating people about nutrition and the importance of nutrition in leading a healthy and happy life. Her long-term goal is to keep educating people on general health and keep herself updated with the latest trends in the field of health.