Salt is one of the most important food ingredients that exist in the world. This ingredient is vital to add taste to the food. There are many types of salt.
The one that is popularly used is regular rock salt. This all is white and is pretty basic. On the other hand, one of the best-considered salts is Himalayan pink salt.
This salt is found in the Himalayas situated in Pakistan. There are major claims that this salt is very beneficial for health. It has loads of minerals in it.
These are a few reasons why Himalayan salt is considered way better than regular table salt. Some people also deny these claims.
In this article, we will discuss everything about Himalayan pink salt and the benefits it holds.
Benefits Of Pink Himalayan Salt
Mineral Rich Salt
Himalayan pink salt as per claims contains a lot of minerals. Mostly, this salt is filled with sodium chloride. With this, it contains 84 other minerals.
These minerals are comparatively lesser in amount. While table salt may have more sodium in it, Himalayan pink salt has more minerals in it.
Himalayan pink salt has minerals ranging from potassium and calcium to less famous strontium. This salt contains an adequate amount of potassium for the daily need of a person.
Contrary to that, all the minerals of this salt are so low in an amount that they might not provide any major health benefits.
However, it might still have an upper hand because it is a better alternative. If compared to table salt, it is more nutritious.
Improves Respiratory Function
The good part about this salt is that it does not contain any harmful chemicals. This means that Himalayan pink salt is the purest form of salt that exists.
Himalayan pink salt has been claimed as a substance used by ancient Greeks. They used this salt to remove dust, pollen, smoke, or any other contaminating item that could harm the respiratory system of the human body.
This is why Himalayan pink salt is used in Himalayan salt inhalers. Scientific research has proven that Himalayan salt inhalers can successfully clients the respiratory system and improve the symptoms of asthma and other allergies.
Himalayan pink salt can also improve serious medical conditions. Even so, a doctor must be consulted in such cases.
The presence of minerals in low amounts may not provide much benefit. The aggregate quantity can still provide major health benefits too.
Himalayan pink salt has been witnessed to increase serotonin levels in the human body. The increased serotonin levels can easily help lift the mood.
On the other hand, it has been claimed to increase energy in the body and even relieve depression. Although, all these claims are yet to be justified with more experiments and studies. These names need justified evidence.
Helps In Sleeping
Low sodium content in your diet seriously affects your sleep. Sodium plays a very important role in giving you a sound sleep.
Hence, one should consume a good amount of salt in their daily routine. Luckily, the high amount of minerals present in Himalayan pink salt can do the job.
Himalayan pink salt can give you good sleep by the stress relieving property of the salt. The increase of cortisol in the body can increase stress.
The increased level of stress affects the melatonin of the body which may be by the Himalayan pink salt.
May Help In Digestion
It is surprising to see that Himalayan pink salt contains appetizing and digestive properties. This salt contains loads of potential in Asian countries for this property.
Due to the digestive and appetizing properties of Himalayan pink salt, you can get relief from major digestive problems as well. It can prevent gas accumulation.
With this, Himalayan pink salt is great for muscle contractions of the digestive tract. Metabolism is also improved with the consumption of this salt.
While Himalayan pink salt contains many potentials in the digestive system, studies are yet to be conducted for more revelations.
Potential Skin Benefits
Bathing with Himalayan pink salt might turn out excellent for the skin. It is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and the ability to get rid of toxins.
So, using it may give skin a radiant glow and help clear it. It is also light( in nature) and can be easily used as an exfoliator.
The rough texture of pink salt may assist in cleaning the pores. This salt is also oily which prevents dryness. It may also nourish the skin by creating an oil balance.
May Prevent Hair Loss
As per Ayurveda, pink salt may balance the Vata. As the salt is oily, it may prevent dryness of the scalp and dandruff.
It is also claimed to be antibacterial so it may further cut short the chances of dryness induced by bacteria and hence hair fall.
May Relieve From Joint Pains
Inflammation is the main contributory factor leading to deteriorating bone health and joint pain. The anti-inflammatory property of pink salt might turn out to be a solution to it.
It may counter the inflammatory agents and reduce the pain and stiffness caused by the inflammation. The oil content is also believed to be effective in controlling stiffness and joint pain.
May Increase Libido
Many food items help in increasing libido in the body. These items eradicate the need for any medication that might harm you otherwise.
Himalayan pink salt also is counted as yet another edible item that helps in increasing libido in the body.
This is again because of the presence of multiple minerals in this special salt which should be consumed in an adequate amount to improve libido and help your sex drive.
May Improve Heart Health
Heart health is probably one of the most important domains you need to focus on. A healthy heart can only lead to a healthy life with other conditions stable.
In the case of the heart, blood circulation is the key. Keeping this key safe can be achieved in many ways.
Besides exercising regularly and not letting fat accumulate, eating well will help you keep your heart more healthy and more active.
That is where Himalayan pink salt is great. Himalayan pink salt is a great food source to keep your blood circulation good and in check.
May Help In Asthma
Asthma patients suffer from breathing issues. Pink salt may help by clearing the respiratory tract. Its anti-inflammatory properties may reduce uneasiness and burning sensation up to some extent.
May Help In Obesity
Himalayan pink salt has been associated with improved insulin function and release. Thus, it might help curb sugar cravings.
So, the chances of accumulation of fat also reduce. It may also prove to be a metabolism booster, making weight loss easier.
May Improve Appetite
Himalayan pink salt has been claimed to clean the digestive system. So, it might make the digestion process easier.
Thus, hunger will be evenly regulated, improving appetite. Therefore, it can become your key to healthy eating.
May Help In Acidity
Indigestion is the primary reason for acidity. The antioxidants present in pink salt might put an end to the problem by clearing the digestive tract.
Moreover, it holds the potential of reducing toxin accumulation in the digestive tract by reducing gas formation. Therefore, you can try using pink salt instead if you suffer from acidity.
Salt is an essential part of everyone’s life. This mineral adds taste to almost every dish we consume. Salt is a blend of two elements, sodium, and chlorine.
The table salt we consume is usually found in seawater, and extracted through the process of evaporation at a mass level. Himalayan pink salt is an exception as it is mined.
The minerals present in it make it a better choice with an attractive color. Talking about the benefits, it has many.
It may regulate blood sugar levels, help lose weight, increase libido, and much more. However, one must not consume more than one tablespoon of Himalayan salt per meal.
Working4Health prefers using primary and verified references. We have strict sourcing guidelines and our primary references include peer-reviewed research, academic, and medical institution studies.
- Flavia Fayet-Moore, Cinthya Wibisono, Prudence Carr, et. al. An Analysis of the Mineral Composition of Pink Salt Available in Australia. Foods. 2020 Oct; 9(10): 1490. Published online 2020 Oct 19. doi: 10.3390/foods9101490
- László Endre. [Theoretical basis and clinical benefits of dry salt inhalation therapy]. Orv Hetil. 2015 Oct 11;156(41):1643-52. doi:10.1556/650.2015.30267. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26551167/
- Vanessa Perez, Dominik D Alexander, and William H Bailey. Air ions and mood outcomes: a review and meta-analysis. BMC Psychiatry. 2013; 13: 29. Published online 2013 Jan 15. doi: 10.1186/1471-244X-13-2
- Melatonin and Salt on Blood Vessel Function. Date of Publication: March 27, 2020. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04325191
- Jose Manuel Carbajo and Francisco Maraver. Salt water and skin interactions: new lines of evidence. Int J Biometeorol. 2018 Aug;62(8):1345-1360. doi: 10.1007/s00484-018-1545-z. Epub 2018 Apr 19. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29675710/
- Johanna Sigaux, Luca Semerano, Guillaume Favre, et. al. Salt, inflammatory joint disease, and autoimmunity. Joint Bone Spine. 2018 Jul;85(4):411-416. doi: 10.1016/j.jbspin.2017.06.003. Epub 2017 Jun 23. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28652101/
- Elizabeth Steels, Amanda Rao, and Luis Vitetta. Physiological aspects of male libido enhanced by standardized Trigonella foenum-graecum extract and mineral formulation. Phytother Res. 2011 Sep;25(9):1294-300. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3360. Epub 2011 Feb 10. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21312304/
- Feng J He and Graham A MacGregor. Role of salt intake in prevention of cardiovascular disease: controversies and challenges. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2018 Jun;15(6):371-377. doi: 10.1038/s41569-018-0004-1. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29713009/
- Anita A Wasik and Tamara Tuuminen. Salt Therapy as a Complementary Method for the Treatment of Respiratory Tract Diseases, With a Focus on Mold-Related Illness. Altern Ther Health Med. 2021 Oct;27(S1):223-239. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34726628/
- Yuan Ma, Feng J He, and Graham A MacGregor. High salt intake: independent risk factor for obesity?. Hypertension. 2015 Oct;66(4):843-9. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.115.05948. Epub 2015 Aug 3. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26238447/
- Henney JE, Taylor CL, and Boon CS. Preservation and Physical Property Roles of Sodium in Foods. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK50952/
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Alisha Matthew has been a practicing nutritionist since 2016. She holds a master’s degree in nutrition from the University of IOWA. She is a staunch believer in improving the human health index by educating people about nutrition and the importance of nutrition in leading a healthy and happy life. Her long-term goal is to keep educating people on general health and keep herself updated with the latest trends in the field of health.