Do you want to eat more protein to improve your health or lose weight but are worried about the price of high-protein foods?
Although some protein sources could be expensive, many economical plants and animal-based protein solutions exist.
The necessary amino acids that your body needs to survive are found in protein. You could also keep muscle, decrease weight, and feel more satisfied by eating more protein.
Benefits of increased protein is a comprehensive guide with much more information.
Prioritizing foods that are high in protein above those that are high in fat and carbohydrates is something we think is an excellent way to lose weight.
A lot of protein per calorie or high protein percentages, characterize the greatest high-protein foods for weight loss.
In this article, we will be looking at some of the best protein sources that are easily affordable.
List Of Cheap Protein Sources
Here are some of the top best cheap protein sources:
Natural Peanut Butter
Natural peanut butter is a fantastic source of good fats and protein.
Peanut butter is a fantastically versatile cooking ingredient that could be used in sauces, dressings, marinades (for tofu, fish, or meat), and baking.
It couldalso be eaten with fruit like bananas and apples or spooned into protein shakes, oats, and smoothies for an extra boost of nutrients.
Choose a natural high-quality peanut butter over a value variety or store-brand because the latter is likely to have fat, sugar, excess salt, palm oil, and other additives.
You get more peanuts for your money even though it may cost a little more because the product is made entirely of peanuts and is much better.
Frozen Chicken Drumsticks
Drumsticks from chicken are commonly available, adaptable, and delectable. They are also some of the cheapest parts of the chicken.
Drumsticks have no carbohydrates and offer an incredible quantity of protein per calorie.
Cost-wise, frozen chicken drumsticks in a bag are your best choice. Take out as many as you require, then put the remainder in the freezer for later use.
When roasted, they have fantastic flavor. The majority of frozen drumsticks are sold raw. So before eating, you need to properly cook them to a temperature of at least 74 C (165 F).
You could eat the skin also if you like. Whether you eat the skin or not, frozen chicken drumsticks couldbe a fantastic dish for weight loss.
Fish is a significant source of omega-3 acids and protein, but it couldbe expensive to buy fresh fish. When it comes to protein content and price, tinned tuna is tough to beat.
This pantry classic dish, which is low in fat and calories, could be a terrific go-to meal when eating on a tight budget.
Because of its long shelf life, it is a smart choice to purchase in bulk while it is on sale.
Use it to prepare fillings for sandwiches, potatoes, and pitas. To make delicious tuna burger patties or meatballs, combine tuna with breadcrumbs and eggs.
Try experimenting with tuna from your pantry and see what you could come up with.
Other high-quality, inexpensive sources of protein include sardines, mackerel, and salmon in cans.
The chicken’s digestive gland has a muscle known as the gizzard. The significant nutritional health advantages of chicken gizzards are not widely known.
But anybody aware of this food’s protein content consumes it at least once every 2 weeks.
It is one of the least expensive and incredibly tasty non-vegetarian sources of protein.
Adding chicken gizzards couldraise the protein level and improve the flavor of any dish.
Whey protein concentrate gives the body the optimum protein for muscle recovery, strength, and building, making it perhaps the most economical way to add more protein to your diet.
Whey is a good choice for post-workout nourishment since it also digests quickly, which your body needs when it needs a quick boost of protein.
But since whey protein concentrate is derived from milk, it usually contains lactose, the inherently sweetened substance included in dairy products.
Your body won’t likely be able to metabolize the lactose if you’re lactose intolerant, and you couldexperience allergic reactions.
If whey protein concentrate makes your stomach uncomfortable, think about spending a little more money on whey protein isolate, which contains fewer byproducts and is purer.
When you thought chicken was the only complete protein source available, milk comes along as an affordable and convenient alternative.
These days, grocery stores are flooded with many kinds of milk, from flavored to full cream.
You might want to choose skimmed milk if you are overly concerned with your fat consumption.
Flavored milk shouldnever be consumed because it contains a significant amount of sugar.
Whether it’s right before night or early in the morning, a glass of milk could be a satisfying source of protein at any time.
There’s no need to search for another protein source any further. If you want to lose weight while eating a vegetarian high-protein diet, you could simply trust a cup of oats.
Oats give you a very long-lasting feeling of fullness. There are numerous ways to consume oats.
For instance, to make oats even more nutrient-dense, you couldserve them with a tonne of vegetables.
The majority of recipes for making oatmeal are single one-pot meals, which could save time without sacrificing nutritional levels.
Additionally, oat flour could be used to make cakes, bread, and gram flour pancake.
The healthiest and cheapest vegetarian source of protein is soy chunks. The best thing about soy chunks is how much protein they provide for such a small amount of food.
Soy chunks are a popular choice for people who are serious about achieving their muscle-building and body-building goals.
They contain a high level of high-quality protein, dietary fiber, and carbohydrates while being low in fat.
Soy chunks are a perfect option for older folks as well becausethey are high in iron and calcium. Boiling soy chunks is also another great option.
For vegetarians, paneer is regarded as a premium delicacy. It could be eaten in a variety of ways.
For example, you couldprepare any scrambled panner or paneer curry and add lots of veggies to it to increase the number of nutrients in the entire dish.
For the gram flour pancakes prepared from yellow split gram, use a scrambled panner.
Although the paneer paratha’s carb content should be taken into account, it still tastes wonderful.
In addition to having a high protein content, paneer also contains a lot of calcium.
It helps you maintain healthy bone density and muscle mass, and also helps you lose weight. It also delays the onset of osteoporosis.
For vegetarians, pumpkin seeds have become very popular and are a rich source of protein. Roasted pumpkin seeds are used to garnish puddings, shakes, and smoothies.
Pumpkin seeds also contain polyunsaturated fat and antioxidants. It has a significant amount of magnesium. Additionally, pumpkin seeds have a very high riboflavin content.
Scientists have found thatpumpkin seeds could inhibit the growth of carcinogenic hazards.
It contains a lot of strong fibers. Additionally, it is known to enhance reproductive systems.
- N. H. Mohd Rozalli,N. L. Chin,Y. A. Yusof,et al. Quality changes of stabilizer-free natural peanut butter during storage J Food Sci Technol. 2016 Jan; 53(1): 694–702.Published online 2015 Sep 11. doi: 10.1007/s13197-015-2006-x
- M. G. MAST and C. S. CLOUSER Processing Options for Improving the Nutritional Value of Poultry Meat and Egg Products Available from:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK218177/
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids July 18, 2022 Available from:https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Omega3FattyAcids-HealthProfessional/
- C G Zarkadas,S A Maloney Assessment of the protein quality of the smooth muscle myofibrillar and connective tissue proteins of chicken gizzard Poult Sci. 1998 May;77(5):770-9. doi: 10.1093/ps/77.5.770. Available from:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9603368/
- Stefan H. M. Gorissen,Julie J. R. Crombag,Joan M. G. Senden,et al. Protein content and amino acid composition of commercially available plant-based protein isolates Amino Acids. 2018; 50(12): 1685–1695.Published online 2018 Aug 30. doi: 10.1007/s00726-018-2640-5
- Hanna Górska-Warsewicz,Krystyna Rejman,Wacław Laskowski,et al. Milk and Dairy Products and Their Nutritional Contribution to the Average Polish Diet Nutrients. 2019 Aug; 11(8): 1771.Published online 2019 Aug 1. doi: 10.3390/nu11081771
- Candida J Rebello,William D Johnson,Corby K Martin,et al. Instant Oatmeal Increases Satiety and Reduces Energy Intake Compared to a Ready-to-Eat Oat-Based Breakfast Cereal: A Randomized Crossover Trial Randomized Controlled Trial J Am Coll Nutr. 2016;35(1):41-9. doi: 10.1080/07315724.2015.1032442. Epub 2015 Aug 14. Available from:https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26273900/
- Gianluca Rizzo,and Luciana Baroni Soy, Soy Foods and Their Role in Vegetarian Diets Nutrients. 2018 Jan; 10(1): 43.Published online 2018 Jan 5. doi: 10.3390/nu10010043
- Sunil Kumar,D. C. Rai, K. Niranjan,et al. Paneer—An Indian soft cheese variant: a review J Food Sci Technol. 2014 May; 51(5): 821–831.Published online 2011 Oct 26. doi: 10.1007/s13197-011-0567-x
- Maria Batool,Muhammad Modassar Ali Nawaz Ranjha,Ume Roobab,et al. Nutritional Value, Phytochemical Potential, and Therapeutic Benefits of Pumpkin (Cucurbita sp.) Plants (Basel). 2022 Jun; 11(11): 1394.Published online 2022 May 24. doi: 10.3390/plants11111394
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
Alisha Matthew has been a practicing nutritionist since 2016. She holds a master’s degree in nutrition from the University of IOWA. She is a staunch believer in improving the human health index by educating people about nutrition and the importance of nutrition in leading a healthy and happy life. Her long-term goal is to keep educating people on general health and keep herself updated with the latest trends in the field of health.